Chicken skin

JS, experiment with temps, u can get awesome results smoking chicken at 325-350 temps, chicken asbords smoke so easy low and slow not needed, to get crisp skin u need to cook at the 350 range so the chicken fat can start frying the skin, also if u want but not needed is to baste with extra oil or butter, after chicken is done eat within 5 mins or skin will not be crisp anymore hope i helped

Thanks everyone for all of the input.

Noe, I am going for the tender bite through skin mainly for comp purposes. No idea how long it will sit in the container. I haven't had too many problems with HH chicken and crisp skin, it's usually come out pretty good.

My uncle has a jaccard, I am thinking I might try that. I don't mind a little prep work, marinades or brines. After it goes on the smoker, I want to always keep things as simple as possible.

This weekend I have a couple butts to do, but the following weekend shall be deemed the weekend of chicken. I am picking up a whole bunch of thighs and doing batches 4-6 different ways. I will take notes and post how it goes.

Again, my goal is tender, bite through skin. I actually enjoy chicken that has that skin, as well as crispy. Just despise skin that is soggy or slides off.

Originally posted by j biesinger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The bite thru skin seems like a bbq urban legend. Its pulling teeth to get any kind of help.

I hear you on this one. I'm convinced its some kind of newbie hazing.

What I get tired of is the pitches for the classes. Some people will come out and tell you how much they spent on classes to learn what they have learned and that if you want to know the same then you should buck up. Sure, that's great for some, but we don't have much opportunity around here to take classes. So, I'm stuck being an outsider, and shiggin' for tips and tricks.

Luckily, us VWBB members have a secret bbq agent that works for free and relishes any chance to undermine the KSBC establishment
icon_wink.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

J., yes there are quite a few "pit masters" who run a BBQ business. They share their views on cooking for a fee, often the fee seems very high. There are other "PitMasters" who give FREELY of the ideas to those who ask. I believe that those in business have a right to offer their product for a price if they want too. I do however applaud those who offer their opinions for free because they like to help.

We here are very fortunate to have several very knowledgeable cooks who are willing to share for free.

KCBS, in and of itself, is also here to promote BBQ with education, competition certification and the association of like minded folk. They are however a business. The KCBS judges on the other hand freely donate their time. They pay for judging certification and to my knowledge receive no remuneration for their judging efforts or transportation costs.

To most of us BBQ cooking is something we do because we love the food and want to make a good meal. BBQ competition, for a rare few is a money making business, but I bet 80-90% of the teams never make a penny and to them it is a hobby that they love, all be it an expensive
one.

Sorry I got carried away. I am passionate on this subject. I love BBQ and the opportunity to come to this forum and learn from the experts, and to associate with the Competition community.

Mark

JS, if u want tender bite through skin just cook the chicken @ 325 no higher perfect temp for chicken or any poultry meat, if u want skin that does not slide off buy a whole chicken and cut it up urself if not ur at the mercy of a buther who is always in a hurry 50-50 chance he did gd wrk, using a jaccard is kind of like cheating anyone will get gd skin doing that

This might be inappropiate, but could someone please translate?

I do not understand the previous post. Sorry?

Originally posted by Geir Widar:
This might be inappropiate, but could someone please translate?

I do not understand the previous post. Sorry?

What is it that you do not understand? I would love to help BUT.......

Mark

Here Geir--

JS, If you want tender, bite-through skin just cook the chicken @ 325, no higher. Perfect temp for chicken or any poultry meat. If you want skin that does not slide off, buy a whole chicken and cut it up yourself. If not, your at the mercy of a butcher who is always in a hurry. 50-50 chance he did good work. Using a Jaccard is kind of like cheating. Anyone will get good skin doing that.

yeah K its like using foil on a brisket, only diff is ur not altering anything just wrapping the brisket, i did not mean anything is wrong with using a jaccard but if allowed in a comp so be it

Well, they allow commercial sauces and rubs, MSG, injections with TVP, hydrolyzed soy, phosphates. A Jaccard seems the least of the issues...

J., yes there are quite a few "pit masters" who run a BBQ business. They share their views on cooking for a fee, often the fee seems very high. There are other "PitMasters" who give FREELY of the ideas to those who ask. I believe that those in business have a right to offer their product for a price if they want too. I do however applaud those who offer their opinions for free because they like to help.

I got no problem with someone making a buck. To clarify my point, what I don't like is when someone asks in an exasperated tone for help with chicken skin and some unhelpful person chimes in with "...I spent $$$ to know what I know, and you should too."

I try to be fairly open and free with info on forums, I just don't see any other reason to be posting at a place like this.

To most of us BBQ cooking is something we do because we love the food and want to make a good meal. BBQ competition, for a rare few is a money making business, but I bet 80-90% of the teams never make a penny and to them it is a hobby that they love, all be it an expensive
one.

and people like you and I are what makes the sport enjoyable. Its the "for profits" guys that sometimes make it a drag.

Noe,

Unfortunately I am trying for bite thru skin at a comp. I only have one WSM, and my ribs will be on at the same time, so 325 is not an option for me. I don't have experience at 325 with ribs.

As for the Jaccard, the origins of BBQ are taking a cheap piece of meat and making it taste great. A Jaccard creates cube steak, a normally tought cut. Take the jaccard to it, its tender. So I don't see how this is out of line with what I think of as the theme of BBQ.

I see people using Wagyu brisket. I hear of people doing all kinds of crazy and expensive things to BBQ. I have zero problem with any of that. If it taste good, that's all that really matters, right ?

I am trying for a simplistic approach with what I have, and a few minutes of prep is fine with me.

I am trying several things next weekend on chicken at 275-300, I will let you know how it works out.

As for my PP this weekend.... Ouch, but that's another posting.

I'm not sure you'll be happy with that but you can certainly try it. As noted upthread, skin needs time to cook to get to that stage. It needs to thin. Time can be shortened (somewhat) by marinating and/or by braising and/or by slow-smoking - but it is not a matter of simply cooking the meat till 'done'. It is a matter of cooking the skin till done. Consider this when you plan your approach.

My last attempt did not have time in my favor, I finished w/ indrect heat on a grill to get the meat to temp (had people waiting to eat). I was carefule note to get too high as I didn't want the grill affecting the skin, I wanted to know how it came out on the smoker.

I am aiming for a 2 - 2.5 hour smoke, hopefully that amount of time will help it. At least thighs are cheap to practice on, wouldn't want to spend this many smokes on getting ribs right.

So I don't see how this is out of line with what I think of as the theme of BBQ.

KCBS has a well defined set of rules. You cant be cheating if you aren't breaking a rule. As far as "traditional" bbq, I have not seen a consistent enough definition to make me think one way is correct. I guess if you are hanging meat on stick near an open, wood burning pit...

I am aiming for a 2 - 2.5 hour smoke, hopefully that amount of time will help it. At least thighs are cheap to practice on, wouldn't want to spend this many smokes on getting ribs right.

for the first 1-1.5 hours, put the thighs, skin down in a pan with a bit of butter to prevent them from sticking. This will help to extend your cook, and excelerate the breakdown of the skin.

That will be $500 please...

Originally posted by derek_d:
I scrape the fat off my chicken skin. Pain in the butt, but it works great.

DEREK_D, I have tried that but the skin just comes off the thigh in one big piece. How do you get it to stay on the meat after cooking?

Mark

Do not remove the skin entirely. Leave the one side attached and scrape away from the meat holding the skin with your other hand. Use paper towels to hold the skin still. Slippery lil suckers.

Originally posted by j biesinger:
for the first 1-1.5 hours, put the thighs, skin down in a pan with a bit of butter to prevent them from sticking. This will help to extend your cook, and excelerate the breakdown of the skin.

Would u have the hot tub foiled or no?

I am also intrigued by the acid marinade. Maybe same kinda pan filled with just enough oj, lime, and whatever to cover just the skin. Apply rub to the meat and do a injection of bayou blast inside. Then let sit for 4-6 hours in the fridge.

Back