Chicken skin

Originally posted by mk evenson:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by derek_d:
I scrape the fat off my chicken skin. Pain in the butt, but it works great.

DEREK_D, I have tried that but the skin just comes off the thigh in one big piece. How do you get it to stay on the meat after cooking?

Mark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't mind if the skin comes off, in fact I remove it before trimming the meat into nice, uniform rectangles, then re-apply the skin to the smaller pieces (you should have plenty of skin to tuck under the meat).

If/when competing, I will take my nicest pieces of skin and re-apply to my nicest pieces of meat (use the less attractive pieces to test for doneness).

Like I said, it's a pain in the arse, but so far-so good.
icon_smile.gif

I don't mind if the skin comes off, in fact I remove it before trimming the meat into nice, uniform rectangles, then re-apply the skin to the smaller pieces (you should have plenty of skin to tuck under the meat).

I find it risky. If your skin is barely bite through, it helps to have it firmly in place, so one can still tear it. If your skin is loose and failed to get to tender, its almost certain to come off in one piece.

Originally posted by j biesinger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I don't mind if the skin comes off, in fact I remove it before trimming the meat into nice, uniform rectangles, then re-apply the skin to the smaller pieces (you should have plenty of skin to tuck under the meat).

I find it risky. If your skin is barely bite through, it helps to have it firmly in place, so one can still tear it. If your skin is loose and failed to get to tender, its almost certain to come off in one piece. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never happened to me.

I've often said that it's OK to share BBQ secrets with folks because most folks have too much pride to follow another man's recipe exactly (we all like to "monkey" with recipes and make em our own).

Here are a few practice pieces.

Spring2009074.jpg

Spring2009077.jpg

Toothpick used to simply mark different seasoning, not to hold skin on the chicken.

Never happened to me.

uh, what? not getting sking to tender or the skin coming off in one bite?

I've even had factory attached skin come off in one piece and reattached skin falls off even easier. just saying...

So this is my current plan for this Saturday, trying to cover benefits for both the meat and the skin.

Cook 4 batches. 2 batches brined, 1 overnight & 1 for ~4 hours. 2 batches in marinade, again 1 overnight & 1 for ~4 hours.

Each batch will be 6 pcs. 3 I am going to use a jaccard on the skin, 3 I am going to leave plain.

I am going to cook the overnights first on the bottom rack, when they are done do the ~4 hours on the bottom rack. I am only using the bottom rack as at my comp I will have ribs on the top during the chicken portion of the cook.

I will definetly take lots of notes and pictures. Probably going to need to draw out a diagram to keep all these different pcs straight on the WSM.

Originally posted by j biesinger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Never happened to me.

uh, what? not getting sking to tender or the skin coming off in one bite?

I've even had factory attached skin come off in one piece and reattached skin falls off even easier. just saying... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never had the skin come off in one bite, but then again when I put em in the box somebody else is eating them so I guess I really don't know (but I've never had it happen to me or anybody else that I've seen eat my chicken when cooked this way).

A lot of times, I have too much skin and even after wrapping the meat and tucking the skin underneath I have to trim it up a bit.

Because the fat has been scraped off, the skin is paper thin and practically see-through.

Once again, I'm just throwing out suggestions. Folks gotta decide on their own how they want to cook their BBQ.

Experiments and test cooks are fun. Only problem here is with only the wife and I in the house we end up with a of of meat to eat. Of course Mick doesn't mind.

santamariaandturninbox033.jpg

Mark

Originally posted by kaz S:
What do u scrape the skin with? I tried a spoon and it didn't do much.

I use a spoon. Takes a fair amount of time and practice before you get the hang of it.

I find that Jumpin Jim's chicken thighs recipe as posted on this site and elsewhere on the internet produces excellent, bite-through results, and is very consistent from cook-to-cook without the necessity of messing around with scraping skin, etc.

I do remove the skin partially to apply rub directly to the meat and over the skin, but secure it back in place with a toothpick. it doesn't really go anywhere after it finishes cooking and firms back up on indirect heat.

I may have monkeyed with the recipe a bit but not too much. Give it a shot. It earned me 5th/62 for chicken in my very first comp.

Originally posted by derek_d:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kaz S:

I use a spoon. Takes a fair amount of time and practice before you get the hang of it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

U halfta lay the skin down on a hard surface like a cutting board and scrape it, huh? I tried just holding it with a paper towel and it really was not very effective. I got the skin side down soaking in some oj gonna fire off the smoker bout 7-8 pm for some midnight bbq. I will check out the jumpin chicken for next time.

U halfta lay the skin down on a hard surface like a cutting board and scrape it, huh? I tried just holding it with a paper towel and it really was not very effective. I got the skin side down soaking in some oj gonna fire off the smoker bout 7-8 pm for some midnight bbq. I will check out the jumpin chicken for next time.

Yep. I use a plastic cutting board (you are allowed to do this at home prior to the competition, just so long as you don't season or marinate the meat). Makes big mess. I find that I have to constantly wipe the cutting board because after a few pieces it gets covered in slimy mess. It's quite a chore to do 12-15 pieces.

Because the fat has been scraped off, the skin is paper thin and practically see-through.

nice. I've never taken skin that far, but I'll bet its pretty effective.

I believe some use disposable razors.

So last night I smoked up some thighs at 250 for 2.5 hours first hour in the hot tub. I did the thin layer of acidic marinade - a combo of fresh lime juice, fresh oj, herbs and garlic they sat down 4 hours in this marinade. I marinated just the skin and put a poultry rub on the thighs. I jackarded (sic) the skin, your right it was not noticeable. The skin was very thin but did not stick good at all this time. I think the marinade may have broken down the protiens that assist in sticking it down, but idk. I also trimmed too much skin I should of left more on to get a better full wrap around the thighs. And also the bbq sauce was vey sticky which would stick to your lips in turn sticking the skin to your lips pulling it off the pieces. The un-sauced pieces stuck better but pulled off easily. So more practice is needed. I liked the last 2 batches better than this one, where I didn't mess to much with poking, marinating, and trimming. Still awesome food tho.

utf-8BSU1HMDA1MzYtMjAxMDA5MjAtMjEzNC5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDA1MzUtMjAxMDA5MjAtMjEzNC5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDA1MzctMjAxMDA5MjAtMjE0My5qcGc.jpg

So I need a thinner less sticky sauce. But am I on the quest or are yall hazing this newbie? Still don't wanna compete just eat real good. I'm looking forward to JMScdowell's cook too. Absolutely love the beagle they're my favorite breed. Mine is half blue heeler.

I also trimmed too much skin I should of left more on to get a better full wrap around the thighs.

I realize your intention isn't to compete, however if you plan on rewrapping skin, you need to do what derek did. Once the skin is off, you have to trim off about 30-40% of the thigh. That way when you put the skin back, it will completely cover it and overlap on the underside.

I don't think you had a chance keeping it on when the thigh wasn't trimmed.

Kaz,

Good looking chicken. One day we'll get it. My family has always had blue heelers, in fact my aunt imported her last one from Australia.

I am looking forward to Saturday's cook. I am wondering if I should jaccard the skin before I marinate / brine them or after. Right now I am leaning towards before. Any suggestions?

Originally posted by JSMcdowell:
Kaz,
I am wondering if I should jaccard the skin before I marinate / brine them or after. Right now I am leaning towards before. Any suggestions?

My inclination would be the same as yours and work with the skin before marinating, but I've never had any experience with this method.

Originally posted by JSMcdowell:
Kaz,

Good looking chicken. One day we'll get it. My family has always had blue heelers, in fact my aunt imported her last one from Australia.

I am looking forward to Saturday's cook. I am wondering if I should jaccard the skin before I marinate / brine them or after. Right now I am leaning towards before. Any suggestions?

I have used the jaccard both ways. Easier to do it before brine or marinade as the skin is dry, otherwise it's slippin and slidin'

Mark

I am going to use the jaccard before, might be really messy otherwise. Heading to the market after work to get started on this, wish me luck.

Back