Chicken quarters too tender @ 170 deg?

Alfred Y

TVWBB Member
In my first cook I roughly followed this method (I didn't sear it, but overall same directions):

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/chicken4.html

They hit 170 internal degrees within 35 or so minutes on the thickest part of the thighs.
I tested the temp on two different leg quarters just to be safe; I had stuck the maverick probe
into the thickest part of the drumstick part without poking through.

I pulled them @ 173 degrees-ish.

Great color, but they were way way tender. Border-line undercooked. Lots of juices, no blood.

Does this sound right to you guys?

Were they brined or injected with salt water? To my untrained ears it does not sound right to me.....but if it didn't kill ya I guess it was fine. :cool:

That is barely enough time to cook boneless skinless chicken breasts.

In my first cook I roughly followed this method (I didn't sear it, but overall same directions):

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/chicken4.html

They hit 170 internal degrees within 35 or so minutes on the thickest part of the thighs.
I tested the temp on two different leg quarters just to be safe; I had stuck the maverick probe
into the thickest part of the drumstick part without poking through.

I pulled them @ 173 degrees-ish.

Great color, but they were way way tender. Border-line undercooked. Lots of juices, no blood.

Does this sound right to you guys?

You can cook dark meat to a higher temp but I think it sounds right. People get used to eating chicken that's just been cooked to death. By all means cook it the way you want it if you like it more done.

Were they brined or injected with salt water? To my untrained ears it does not sound right to me.....but if it didn't kill ya I guess it was fine. :cool:

That is barely enough time to cook boneless skinless chicken breasts.

Oh snap I forgot to mention this. Yes I brined them for about 3 hours with salt and sugar! Maybe that's why!!!

You can cook dark meat to a higher temp but I think it sounds right. People get used to eating chicken that's just been cooked to death. By all means cook it the way you want it if you like it more done.

I thought of this too. Maybe I'm just way too sensitive to eating dry meat. Though, I didn't think about dark meat vs white meat temps.

Back