Chicken Galatine Ballotine... thank you Jacques Pépin!

Pete in PG

TVWBB Pro
I like simple french food. Not heavy sauces or creams, but relatively uncomplicated and well prepared. Deboning a whole chicken is all about technique and Pépin explains it very well in this video. It take me about 15 minutes to debone a chicken and turkeys much longer, but it's a nice change of pace. Another thing I like is that there are an unlimited number of stuffings. For this cook, I sauteed some spinach by just wilting the leaves in a sauce pan. I added some mushrooms marinated in olive oil with capers, pitted kalamata olives and some a little roasted red pepper to the spinach and then into the food processor for a quick puree. This stuff was delcious!

First; his video on how to debone a whole chicken.

Here's my bird; deboned and stuffed - and ready for the grill.

klrb.jpg

A very early action shot!

jdrs.jpg

Did I mention that this is thirsty work? Yep! This is an outstanding Malbec I found at Costco.

ygto.jpg

Obligatory late action shot.... bird about finished, hasselback potatoes, sliced baquette....

fsbm.jpg

Resting.... that grill was hot!

t5zm.jpg

Plated before consumed in a flash! All of it was delicious and I'll do this again many times.

dmdl.jpg

Thanks for lookin' at my cookin'!

I can see the youtube video, but none of the pictures. However, I used that video to do a chicken and a turkey for thanksgiving 2012. It turned out very well. I'm sure it is lovely.

And now I can see the pictures. Go Figure.

It does look quite scrumpcious.

Last edited:
Absolutely Masterful Pete, anytime I hear the name mentioned on a cook I am paying close attention as he is the Head Master. Between him and Alton Brown I have learned so much over the years.
Thank you so much for sharing that, I have not seen that video for years.

wow Pete... This has to be one of your best cooks in recent memory. I love it!!!

Done a few of these myself with desent to good resault´s. Not my go to but a cool way of serving it.

Damn Pete....I think you did a better job than Pepin! I don't think I could ever debone a chicken like that, I would have to sanitize the whole kitchen after my attempt.

Pete, that looks amazing. Skin looks nice and crispy and everything else tender and juicy. Thank you for sharing that video. I cannot wait to try this with my next chicken! I'm sure my quality won't match yours, but practice is half the fun.

Back