Chicken Bombs! Heating Difficulties!

So, I'm trying to get more familiar with my WSM 14.5 I have had for a few years and decided to try Bill Gillespie's Chicken Bombs (hot fast). I started with approx. 3/4 chimney unlit in the ring and dumped 3/4 lit chimney on top of that with all vents open all the way. Everything ran well and actually heated to 350 faster than I anticipated. However, before the chicken reached temp, the WSM temp dropped down to between 250-275 and I was never able to get it back up to 350. Tried taking the top off and using my heat gun to blow the coals, added 20-25 more fully lit coals, and tried leaving the side door open for a few minutes, all to no avail. Is it possible I had TOO MANY coals?

The chicken bombs turned out fantastic, however, due to cooking at a lower temp, the bacon never crisped up. The crazy thing is there were still warm coals almost 24 hours later!

I'm hoping for some suggestions for keeping the temp up. Also, a coal comparison between the 14.5" and 18" WSM.

Attachments

• Chicken Bombs 1.jpg
    Chicken Bombs 1.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 23
  • Chicken Bombs 2.jpg
    Chicken Bombs 2.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Chicken Bombs 3.jpg
    Chicken Bombs 3.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Chicken Bombs 4.jpg
    Chicken Bombs 4.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Chicken Bombs 5.jpg
    Chicken Bombs 5.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 22
It was probably in the high 70's to low 80's and I used Kingsford Original. After reading a little more, I actually believe I may have overloaded the coal ring. The Chicken Bombs actually tasted amazing and I'd highly recommend them. I would have just rather not felt like I had to fight the smoker through the cook. ;)

It was probably in the high 70's to low 80's and I used Kingsford Original. After reading a little more, I actually believe I may have overloaded the coal ring. The Chicken Bombs actually tasted amazing and I'd highly recommend them. I would have just rather not felt like I had to fight the smoker through the cook. ;)
That cooking grate is pretty full, the food may have been choking the exhaust enough to limit your high heat temp target. Next time if you didn’t use the bottom grate, I’d toss a couple down down from the top to free the the airflow up some. Also instead of opening the door or taking the lid completely off, try offsetting the lid on the cooker, usually an inch is enough. I’ve had the same problem as you doing high heat brisket cooks on my 18.5 when there’s a big packer hogging up all the real estate on the top cooking grate.

In the second photo I think I see the water pan or another heat defusser, is that correct? I think that may be a major player in the issue with the temps dropping. When I want to go 350 in the WSM I go no water pan, what I think might have happened is that original hot charcoal dump got you to 350, but as that died out and started to create a minion method burn it settled in around 250-275. My recommendation is to go water pan/ heat deflector less, keep everything else the same, monitor temps and see how that plays out. Check out Chris's classic Hot and Fast Chicken recipe, I think this is the most referenced recipe of Chris's. I remember trying to do a bone in turkey breast a few years ago with the WSM 14. Goal 325 ish, after fighting for a while, I took the water pan out and it completely changed the cook.

Last edited:

Back