Chicago Stlye Deep Dish Pizza

Tommy B

TVWBB Pro
I made my first trip to Chicago about a year ago to catch a Cards/Cubs game at Wrigley. I was blown away by deep dish pizza. It was the first time I had really had it and couldn't believe how great it was. With no real deep dish options in North Texas I set out to make my own.
I handmade the dough and sauce from scratch. I have no previous baking experience and honestly have not had much success cooking/grilling pizza.
The secret to the dough was half way through rising the recipe called to roll the dough flat and cover with softened butter. Once the entire surface is covered in butter roll up the dough and gently form back into a ball and allow to finish rising. Covering it in butter and rolling it up like a sleeping bag made a bunch buttery layers in the final product.
I cooked it in a cast iron skillet and could not be happier with the results.

I will be cooking again!

Ya did good and I'm from Chicago so I know deep dish. They are pretty hard to replicate at home. I've had some success but it's hard to keep them from getting to soupy or the crust an inch thick. Nice job.

Like you Tommy I have never had a Chicago style deep dish pizza, but from what I see yours looks awesome. If you don't mind sharing would love to get the dough and sauce recipe.

Tommy your deep dish looks great! Lou Malnati's is the signature deep dish in Chicago. They ship anywhere, just give them a call at 1 800 LOU TO GO.

I'm not a big fan of deep dish but that looks tremendous Tommy. You nailed it my friend. Excellent job.

Tommy your deep dish looks great! Lou Malnati's is the signature deep dish in Chicago. They ship anywhere, just give them a call at 1 800 LOU TO GO.

When in Chicago I have Lou's and Giodonos (spelling?)
Lou's was my favorite. Solid stuff!

Back