Chicago dogs

JohnTak

TVWBB Pro
I saw a picture of Chicago Dogs now I have a craving. I see Amazon has the bright green relish and the Sport peppers, I have not seen any in my neighborhood stores.My question is, are those necessary or just for the full effect? I know we eat with our eyes first so I am willing to get them if recommended by you all.

I can live without relish, I do like the Marconi Sport Peppers that I purchased via Amazon & I am also a fan of hot Giardinera. I can also live without tomato, pickle & celery salt on an all beef dog, mustard is a must.

I believe only Vienna makes the fluorescent green relish but its dill not sweet relish so you can sub.
The a hole burners vary in heat, again Vienna makes a hot one but you could sub another pepper like a yellow or pepperoncini .

I would certainly recommend tracking down actual sport peppers.....they are truly unique... If you are going to the trouble of ordering the peppers, I'd splurge and get the neon too!

....... and heaven forbid, don't forget the sometimes elusive poppyseed bun....!:)

I saw a picture of Chicago Dogs now I have a craving. I see Amazon has the bright green relish and the Sport peppers, I have not seen any in my neighborhood stores.My question is, are those necessary or just for the full effect? I know we eat with our eyes first so I am willing to get them if recommended by you all.
I was the same way a couple years ago. I ordered everything I needed online and was excited to make one. Guess what—I didn’t care for it, too much going on. I’ll stick to just mustard and maybe some sauerkraut every now and then with some kosher pickles on the side.

Is it a sin to grill the dogs? I know boiled or steamed in most preparations.
Wife and I used to live next door to a place in Chicago on Foster Ave and Kedzie, called "The Pit". They cooked everything over an open charcoal pit. We would come home from work and the aroma was fantastic. They made a true Chicago dog only over charcoal. Also the great Chicago Polish and Italian sausages on hard rolls. I don't think it's there anymore. It was a crazy corner. CTA bus depot, my wife's company she worked at that took up nearly a city block going north on Kedzie from Foster on the east side, The Pit, and a Marine Corp place. Parking was awful.
Anyway the dogs they made were REALLY good as well. Different, but good. But, that steamed dog "snap" wasn't there

I was born and raised in Evanston - Hot Dog Island, Mustard's Last Stand and Poochies over in Skokie we're our go to joints... As far as BBQ' them, I think its fine- just be a little careful - those skinned ones can pop / split pretty easily on the BBQ - have fun and enjoy !

5159789581_804c2d1c81_w_d.jpg

305109093_497070505754937_6703204386033350463_n.jpg

rfl_2925-e1532543477527.jpg

The most important part of the equation in the Chicago hot dog is the dog itself. The toppings can differ slightly from place to place. My favorite place is called Gene and Jude's in River Grove. They put mustard, relish, sport peppers, and onion on their dogs. They also wrap the dog with the fries on top. You eat down the fries to a reasonable amount and then eat the dog with some fries on it. It's interesting that you can't find the Vienna Beef natural casing hot dogs in the stores around here. I only see them online and they are pretty expensive.

Back