Chicago dogs

A lot of Chicago "stands" wrap the dog in fries. My time living in Chicago I would say 80% of the places I would visit do this
I'm sure you are right about that. I'm probably not as familiar with a lot of the places you have been. Another great place that's actually in the city is Superdawg. They have great dogs although the crinkle cut fries aren't really anything too special. They also serve their dogs with a pickled green tomato which is absolutely delicious and I always ask for extra ones when I go.

Yep, love Super Dawg. Always loved seeing those 2 with the winking neon eye. I used to love just finding random "stands" they'd serve tamales, dogs, beef, sausage (Italian and Polish), Pepper and Egg sandwiches (not an Italian Catholic then you likely won't know that delicacy). Tamales from a Chicago Dog stand are not authentic in like what you'd expect either.
If you ate in your car you knew for a couple days after what you ate as well :D I moss those days. Now everything is institutionalized and "sterile".
How I wasn't DOA by 40 from those delicacies is beyond me :D

Never saw those tamales or anything like it. Interesting. Though, if I found myself on "da sout side" I typically headed over to Mama Tish or one of those places. She's gone now, but typically got a beef or a sausage and an Italian ice afterward

yeah, the tamales that weren't really tamales are pretty great too. The old ones I remember were the Tom Tom's and Supremes: They'd be served in a styrofoam container usually with some untypical chili on top them - of course you would tell them to add onions and sport peppers! I guess those would be the 'boats' , though I don't remember them be called anything other than a tamale - 'The Mother In Law' must of of been devised after I left or only a southside thing.

348s.jpg

supreme%20tamales.jpg

I love Italian tamales but have not seen any in years. Used to be in the frozen food section. Around here they had Garibaldi’s, big fat ones. I miss those :cry:. In Stockton there was a place called Pioneer, it was an Italian restaurant that made those fat ones fresh.

The Mother In Law' must of of been devised after I left or only a southside thing.
I grew up by Fat jonnies where it supposedly was invented . He called it the MIL because it gave you heartburn lol.
There was a episode with Anthony Bourdain where he tried one and if memory serves me right he liked it.
I grew up by Tom Tom's also.
1693494464959.png

When I was a kid my Hispanic friend's mother told me Mexican tamales are made of masa and wrapped in corn husk, flatter and thiner than Italian tamales. Then my Italian friend's mother stated that Italian tamales were fat and rounder than Mexican tamales and had polenta on the outside. If I am wrong I have been misinformed and apologize.

Last edited:
When I was a kid my Hispanic friend's mother told me Mexican tamales are made of masa and wrapped in corn husk, flatter and thiner than Italian tamales. Then my Italian friend's mother stated that Italian tamales were fat and rounder than Mexican tamales and had polenta on the outside. If I am wrong I have been misinformed and apologize.
I never heard of one either, but I did google it and found one recipe.
It did have polenta as the tube.

Back