Chefs Choice Deli Meat Slicer

Ron A

TVWBB Fan
OK, so this isn't about BBQ or techniques or recipes. This is about slicing up the finished product.

I am now the proud owner of a Chefs Choice 609 deli-style food slicer. For the last year I have been hand-slicing bacon and other meats, breads and cheeses using several different professional Henkels knives. This works fine since I keep all my kitchen knives extremely sharp. The problems have always been (1) uniformity in the thickness of each slice and (2) the time it takes just to slice whatever it is I’m slicing.

Here’s my problem…. I had a deli-style slicer 25 years ago and loved it. However, the last time I used it, I was cleaning the circular blade and accidentally filleted the full length of one of my fingers all the way to the bone (ouch!). A trip to the ER, a few stitches and some Vicodin fixed that, but my (then) new wife was none too happy afterwards and donated the slicer and blades to Goodwill (one of our first fights as a married couple).

Fast forward 25 years and here I am again with one of these slicers. The funny thing here is my wife (the same one) bought me the slicer as a Christmas present this year! I do love her very much! I also LOVE the ease of turning a 2-lb. slab of smoked pork belly into a couple vacuum-sealed packages of ready-to-fry bacon slices in just a matter of a few minutes. Yes, I’m much older, wiser and safer in the handling of the blades. But I still find that removing the blade from the machine and cleaning it can be disastrous with just one little slip of the finger or hand. Do any of you have any tips, tricks or suggestions in the handling and cleaning of the blades for these slicers (other than “don’t cut yourself” and “be very careful”)? I don't want to take another trip to the ER and I don't my wife to make another trip to Goodwill! ;)

Ron, do a Google search for cut proof butchers gloves or cut resistant gloves, they can be found cheap to expensive. Hope that helps.

Yes to what Don says go to a site like Northern Safety and search cut gloves. We use them at work for handling razor sharp chips. And they are washable.

Back