Checking in from MA

DuncanW

Hey all, new member here from southeastern Massachusetts. I've been smoking meat for about 15 years; started on a propane box, went to a cheap offset smoker (sorry,) and picked up an 18' WSM about 5 years ago. I LOVE THIS COOKER!!! She's a great rig and I've bought quite a few accessories for it over the years including one that I made last summer. The accessories have really made this a do-it-all smoker, capable of cooking for some very large crowds. The setup is:

18" WSM
Auber controller
Cajun Bandit expansion set (extension ring, door, charcoal basket)
Hunsaker rib hanger
Warhead rack system (my design/name)

Looking forward to seeing what you guys and gals are doing with your equipment, here's a few pictures of my last cook. I did St Louis style ribs for the plant I manage, 18 racks on the Hunsaker, 15 pounds of Texas beans, and 20 pounds of collards. The ribs admittedly could have used another hour to be up to snuff, but the natives were getting restless. The two burner stove you see pictured is Camp Chef.

fullhunsaker.JPG needanhour.JPG
notacateror.JPG

Last edited:
18 racks of ribs on the WSM18 is a pretty nice intro, Duncan! :) That's an impressive load of pork, and a mess of beans/collards to go with 'em!

Welcome to TVWBB! Looking forward to hearing more from you......

Rich

WOW !!!
18 racks is incredible.
Once again proving the WSM to be the most versatile cooker around.
And the food looks delicious

Brian every time I start getting serious about buying a "nice" drum smoker (looking at you, Hunsaker...) I end up leaving it in the shopping cart. I may still end up with one, but there's always a prominent place for my WSM.

Brian every time I start getting serious about buying a "nice" drum smoker (looking at you, Hunsaker...) I end up leaving it in the shopping cart. I may still end up with one, but there's always a prominent place for my WSM.

Haha, the pull is STRONG sometimes, I always one “just one more”. Can’t tell you how many times I have had a smoker/grill/gasser in my shopping cart before I realize my WSM or Kettle can do anything.....

Plus, not pulling the trigger has the added benefit of not getting “the look” from my wife....lol

Duncan, that is impressive on a WSM. What part of SE Ma from-left Westport for sunny AZ 2 years ago

Duncan, that is impressive on a WSM. What part of SE Ma from-left Westport for sunny AZ 2 years ago

Hi Bob, sorry I missed this, I'm in Rehoboth. I love the New Bedford area, I have a couple of friends in Fairhaven and it's hard to keep me away from the restaurants in downtown New Bedford.

Sorry to hijack Duncan's thread and reviving this not-so-old thread. I think I need a stacker or spacer in order leave more distance between the charcoal and the ribs. The spare ribs (cut in half) came out a bit too dark. The taste and aroma were intense even without wood chucks added. 18 baby back ribs is the next goal! :)

134201031_147273790298253_3912392618755848307_n.jpgI

Back