Check This Out from Tom Horseman

Product looks interesting but I’m with Timothy on the presentation…hard to watch!
Not available on Amazon currently.

Snakes can run up to ten hours on a kettle on their own…but for $100 it’s not a bad idea to have a dedicated kettle kamado.
I’ve been know to have a couple on standby 😬

Oh well, glad you like him, I just find him unnecessary.
I see his design for the side table is a disaster waiting to happen, the table on the back side of the wheels is just bad engineering.

Oh well, glad you like him, I just find him unnecessary.
I see his design for the side table is a disaster waiting to happen, the table on the back side of the wheels is just bad engineering.
as a journeyman rigger I can assure you with the weight of the entire units center where its at, unless your going to sit on that shelf, the only chance at a disaster is it catching on fire, highly unlikely!

Add the insert to the kettle and your definitely trying to find fault that aint there! Like him or not, I think he's got a good bit to offer others without asking for anything.

Thanks for the informative video LM, I think a few here just might have interest in that setup to compliment there kettle.

as a journeyman rigger I can assure you with the weight of the entire units center where its at, unless your going to sit on that shelf, the only chance at a disaster is it catching on fire, highly unlikely!

Add the insert to the kettle and your definitely trying to find fault that aint there! Like him or not, I think he's got a good bit to offer others without asking for anything.

Thanks for the informative video LM, I think a few here just might have interest in that setup to compliment there kettle.
Sorry, but at one point where he is showing it off he admits himself that it may be a bad idea! A stock kettle with coal loaded does not have sufficient mass to counterweight a tray with eight pounds of chicken that far off the fulcrum.
Now, as for the insert, I said NOTHING about that. The concept is fine, I’m just not seeing myself doing it.
I still say the guy is a nattering nabob much akin to fingernails on a chalkboard!age may be a wonderful human being but, I won’t watch him.

Not trying to argue but, you do realize the entire grill is countering the shelf dont you? plus much of the shelf is neutralized sitting over the axle,, or as you put it, fulcrum? adding 1/3 of the weight of the load on the shelf to counter the entire weights, hence, 8# is now 5.3#, with 2.7# added to the already weights of the grill itself, now increasing the counter weight (total weight of counterweight). Now if he hung it off the backside of the entire shelve, well without measurements that's a total guess.

Trust me, rigging and fabricating is more than looks like, but I will assure you 8# of chicken,,,, ON THE CENTER OF THAT SHELF, is not a problem, then add the insert weight and stainless frame to the kettle (your counterweight),,, well that's pretty much self explained.

Not trying to argue, is how most arguments begin but, this is simply a point of disagreement based on a statement from the original fabricator. We will clearly not agree on this point but, basic physics make me look at that arrangement and cannot feel confident in its safety. You build your toys, I’ll build mine. I’m not going to make something based on this design, I’d prefer spending the time making something to eat.
Just out of curiosity, what do you rig?

Retired now, but you name it, as a member of the International Association of Bridge Strucural and Ornimental Iron Workers, Machienery Movers, Riggers, Fabricators, Stone Derickmen, and Structural Reinforcement

550 ton transformers to small parts, tearing out old machinery and structures, tearing out you better have your rigging right based on your weights center point, regaurdless of its shape, your removing as much as possible for what the crane in use can handle, it hates surprises, once you cut it loose your hanging in mid air, and there are no second chances, you learn quick, or it's over

Last edited:
I've watched a lot of Tom's videos over the years, he used to be a very active member of another BBQ Forum that I frequent. While I do not disagree the possibility that one either likes or hates his presentation style, (just like those BBQ guys that use machetes for knives all the time) his ideas are sound when he goes to modifying Webers. Again, you can like what he does to them or not, but that doesn't make them bad ideas or designs.

I think his videos are pretty thorough and provide enough detail for anyone with an average amount of experience with hand tools to duplicate. I am not a fabricator. For example, I don't know how to weld, don't want to know how to weld, but I think that I could pretty much complete any of his Weber mods.

This is a cool idea. Pick up a real nice used Weber for next to nothing, add this insert, and, voilà, for less that two bills you've got equivalent of a $5-700 (or higher) kamado.

Me, I'm happy plugging along with my 20 year old One Touch Platinum. With the SnS, it does pretty much everything that I've asked it to do and since I live full time in an RV, I really don't have room for much more . . .

BD

Back