Check out this one!

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
OK, I admit I go down rabbit trails way too often. However, I am really trying to limit myself (mainly :LOL: ) to primarily Webers, followed by Broilmaster and lastly PK grills. PKs aren't suitable for flipping, so my collection of 2 may be it, unless I feel rich and get a new 360 - or maybe the new portable they came out with...

Anyway, on the Broilmaster front, I have accumulated a bunch of parts, most of which came from buying out Chris in GA's inventory. I told him at the time that what he was doing is what my wife wanted ME to be doing:oops:!

I thought I had enough other than needing some base carts, when THIS came along:

IMG_5441.jpeg

This is the Broilmaster D2 also previously called the G-2000. You definitely don't see them very often; I believe this one dates to the 1980s. The left hand side is essentially a smaller "4" size regular Broilmaster. This one has their well regarded "bow-tie" burner. It came with the original grate for lava rocks (later ceramic pyramids or "flame buster" tiles), but it and the original cast iron grates are pretty much shot. Those parts I have already.

IMG_5443.jpeg

You can see the Natural Gas hose, but fortunately the conversion on a Broilmaster to LP really is about as simple as swapping the orifices. I have LP ones.

The right side of the grill features a "half" burner and is intended to serve as an oven or for low and slow BBQ. They still had the cast iron grates (rough but not replaceable). The shelves for the above slots were already long gone. I am hoping to find something in stainless that will fit or can be cut to fit to replace them. They did still have the cast iron smoker box that Broilmaster sold as an option. Rusty but restorable.

IMG_5444.jpeg

Although this grill is currently NG, I noticed that the holder for a propane tank is there. Look how stout the frame and wheels are!

IMG_5449.jpeg

One last really special aspect of this old Broilmaster are the handles and the long slat shelf that I am pretty sure are made of redwood. Good luck replacing redwood, but the original looks very redeemable. Bruce is currently restoring an even older large, single Broilmaster grill that has solid redwood shelving and the same handle as this one. His cart also shares many of the same parts. I am sure he will post something when he is ready.

IMG_5448.jpeg

This will be a fun project, but I need to get my Broilmaster parts from Florida to finish it. Oh, and I need to transform the modest shop that came with the house we bought from a tortoise den (I am SERIOUS) to a grill renovation workshop. Oh, and we have dozens and dozens of boxes left to unpack, and my wife's honeydo list grows by the day...

At first I thought that was parts from a couple of different 'ques on a cart! That is a strange-looking BBQ, Jon! I had a Charbroil gasser 30-ish years ago that had a square temp gauge and the lava rock...the burner rusted out and I replaced it, but eventually the lava rock got so gunked up that I put it out at the curb. Are burners still available for these?

Jon: I notice that grill has the double wheels. I guess they were stock on the double grills.

Does Broil master have a following like Weber? I hate to sound snobbish, but I always thought of that brand as the "lava rock crap" that was available before the Weber Genesis.
Gerry

At first I thought that was parts from a couple of different 'ques on a cart! That is a strange-looking BBQ, Jon! I had a Charbroil gasser 30-ish years ago that had a square temp gauge and the lava rock...the burner rusted out and I replaced it, but eventually the lava rock got so gunked up that I put it out at the curb. Are burners still available for these?

Yeah, Ed, you actually can get burners for this grill. The left side is just a regular Broilmaster so they are readily available, as are grates in cast iron and very high grade stainless. (See my Stainless Rod Grate Throwdown post) The right side "half-burner" is still available from at least a couple suppliers of Broilmaster grills parts. Unfortunately, the grill level grates for the right side are unique and no longer available. I did find stainless oven grates that should work for the upper shelves with minimal adaptation. They are oven thickness, not grate level stout, but that is how you would use those shelves. For the main grates on the right I will probably try to adapt something.

Here is an ad Broilmaster ran for the earlier model of this grill. That one only had a single control for the left side burner.

Do you know what these sold for when new? It's looks like a very high-end grill.

Does Broil master have a following like Weber? I hate to sound snobbish, but I always thought of that brand as the "lava rock crap" that was available before the Weber Genesis.
Gerry

Gerry,
Actually, although they LOOK like some of the cheaper grills from the old days, Broilmaster has always been a quality brand. Thick, solid aluminum firebox and hood and quality parts. They are built like tanks. There were a lot of cheap imitations, I think, back in the day (such as my Sunbeam "The Judge" grill) but these were, and are, not cheap at all. You don't see them anywhere but at higher end grill stores because of their price. And even there, I don't think they are big seller due to their homely, dated appearance. But they can grill! Both super high heat searing and low and slow BBQ. The grates come in cast iron or extremely high quality stainless, both with a "waterfall" design that allows you to adjust the height of your grates. Three levels for the larger "3" grills and two levels for the smaller "4" size grills.

IMG_5579.jpeg

Last edited:
Gerry,
Actually, although they LOOK like some of the cheaper grills from the old days, Broilmaster has always been a quality brand. Thick, solid aluminum firebox and hood and quality parts. They are built like tanks. There were a lot of cheap imitations, I think, back in the day (such as my Sunbeam "The Judge" grill) but these were, and are, not cheap at all. You don't see them anywhere but at higher end grill stores because of their price. And even there, I don't think they are big seller due to their homely, dated appearance. But they can grill! Both super high heat searing and low and slow BBQ. The grates come in cast iron or extremely high quality stainless, both with a "waterfall" design that allows you to adjust the height of your grates. Three levels for the larger "3" grills and two levels for the smaller "4" size grills.

Ahh. Now that you mentioned Sunbeam, that might be the crap I was thinking about.
But would anyone but Bruce want one?
I'll have to see if there is a Broilmaster forum
Gerry

Last edited:
Wow Jon you took it to another level. Awesome post 👍
Yes Broilmaster is great the AL last a long time. Interesting the smoker and the four wheels. You are a true Broilmaster aficionado !!!

Well it looks like you have another "orphan" to save Jon. Those are very unique models. As for the questions of BM having a "following" they sure do. When I sold mine the guy who came to buy it was looking all over for just the right one. The one with the waterfall adjustable grates like I had. He was totally ecstatic when he got here. Especially that I had another one in Hunter Green (the Ducks Unlimited model) he could not load his car up fast enough.

Larry, how much do you think I can get for my BM???

Ahh. Now that you mentioned Sunbeam, that might be the crap I was thinking about.
But would anyone but Bruce want one?
I'll have to see if there is a Broilmaster forum
Gerry

It looks like there WAS a broilmaster forum at one time but it is now defunct.

[/URL]

I would own a broilmaster if it weren't for the lava rocks design. I've had grills with those in the past. Even though they work well I thought they were incredibly messy band much harder to maintain than flavorizer bars. Overall great grills though.

" I would own a broilmaster if it weren't for the lava rocks design. I've had grills with those in the past. Even though they work well I thought they were incredibly messy band much harder to maintain than flavorizer bars. Overall great grills though."

They're not messy. Really in many ways way less messy than a Genesis or Weber. The ceramics vaporize drippings far better than the steel tents on the Weber
Bruce I honestly don't know. For one thing I don't know how popular they were/are there. I know they were incredibly popular in the Minneapolis area. Seems almost every Richfield Rambler Ranch I ever saw had the telltale post of a Warm Morning outside it's back door. They're now made in Belleville IL so perhaps more popular here. I would start like you would a similar Weber and see what the market would bare.

Thanks Larry. I was thinking about putting it on CL and FB MP in the twin cities as well. Just charge a delivery fee. I sold a Silver B for $350 plus a $75 delivery fee earlier this spring to a Minneapolis couple.

I have a post mounted NG Broilmaster that is about 16 years old. Last summer I replaced the grates, bow tie burner (free via manufacturer warranty- rust) and switched to the ceramic tiles. Hums right along. That double grill you have is very cool. Never seen before. I also like MHP,
successor to Charmglow. They are built very similar to Broilmaster and also built in Illinois. As a plus, the offer an open cart.

It looks like there WAS a broilmaster forum at one time but it is now defunct.

[/URL]

I would own a broilmaster if it weren't for the lava rocks design. I've had grills with those in the past. Even though they work well I thought they were incredibly messy band much harder to maintain than flavorizer bars. Overall great grills though.

Greg,

I might use lava rocks on the right, low and slow, side of this grill just for nostalgia. For the left side for high heat searing, you can use the ceramic pyramids like Bruce did or, if you prefer, the "flame buster" tiles with holes in them. I have used the latter very successfully on my Sunbeam "The Judge." Everything pretty much vaporizes on them, and every so often you can just flip them over.

IMG_0413.jpeg

Either the pyramids or the tiles do not seem to me to be any more effort than flavorizer bars. Still, I give credit to the engineers at Weber who came up with the flavorizer concept. Other cheap grills these days are trying to copy as close as they can get by with.

Back