Check out this one!

One thing I noticed with tiles they made the grill mimic a ceramic infrared burner. The heat when using those compared to the rocks is INTENSE. Enough so I lost a lot of hair on my arms :D

Jon those tiles do look to be an improvement over the old lava rocks. The grills I used that had lava rocks those lava rocks got all gunked up once or twice a year. I remember laboriously scraping them off individually. Just turning them over wouldn't have worked. They were too gunked up. It was a long time ago though and I might be misremembering. I didn't like them though.

Regarding flavorizors the other manufacturers have definitely tried to copy weber but in most cases not very well. The "flavorizors " on the Kenmore and char broil grills I had before my weber grills were pathetic. They would burn/rust through in a year or less. I remember replacing them pretty much yearly. Which got expensive. Stock weber flavorizors last for years. Rcplanebuyer and bbqparts flavorizors last even longer.

Regarding flavorizors the other manufacturers have definitely tried to copy weber but in most cases not very well. The "flavorizors " on the Kenmore and char broil grills I had before my weber grills were pathetic. They would burn/rust through in a year or less. I remember replacing them pretty much yearly. Which got expensive. Stock weber flavorizors last for years. Rcplanebuyer and bbqparts flavorizors last even longer.
I was left with "a bad taste in my mouth" from experience with my first gasser, a square-domed Char-Broil (or maybe it was a CharmGlow?), with the lava rock. To me, many have tried, but could never quite duplicate, the taste from a charcoal or wood-fired barbeque.

From what I understand, the Lava rocks are not generally considered a good medium for storing and distributing heat, not to mention burning off cooking juices. But, you won't find any support for Charbroil or Charmglow on this forum..... That would make your experience bad right out of the gate.

It went to the Great Landfill in the Sky decades ago...

EDIT: But my next gasser was a second-hand Weber kettle. It had lava rock, too. I didn't like that one, either, so I sold it. I couldn't afford the Genesis line back then.

It went to the Great Landfill in the Sky decades ago...

EDIT: But my next gasser was a second-hand Weber kettle. It had lava rock, too. I didn't like that one, either, so I sold it. I couldn't afford the Genesis line back then.
Those grills were junque anyway. Weber made a real "stinker" with those. I know some people collect them but I fail to see why you would want something collected that was no good to begin with. Ahhh but then people do collect Edsels :D

" I would own a broilmaster if it weren't for the lava rocks design. I've had grills with those in the past. Even though they work well I thought they were incredibly messy band much harder to maintain than flavorizer bars. Overall great grills though."

They're not messy. Really in many ways way less messy than a Genesis or Weber. The ceramics vaporize drippings far better than the steel tents on the Weber
Bruce I honestly don't know. For one thing I don't know how popular they were/are there. I know they were incredibly popular in the Minneapolis area. Seems almost every Richfield Rambler Ranch I ever saw had the telltale post of a Warm Morning outside it's back door. They're now made in Belleville IL so perhaps more popular here. I would start like you would a similar Weber and see what the market would bare.

Sorry but that's your subjective opinion only regarding the "messiness" of the briquettes vs flavorizors. Not fact. My experience was different.

Sorry but that's your subjective opinion only regarding the "messiness" of the briquettes vs flavorizors. Not fact. My experience was different.
It was actually personal experience using both side by side. I found in many ways the BroilMaster with either briquettes or the tiles (I used it both ways0 burned up drippings to more of an "ash" consistency that was quite easily just vacuumed out with my shop vac where the steel flavorizers did not and allowed far more grease to go through. Again side by side cooking with both my Genesis and the Summit 450. Same with the Wolf for that matter. It too uses a heat tent system and also allows far more grease to get through. Now whether you would rather scrape out and wipe up grease as opposed to pretty much vacuuming out ashes that is a matter of personal taste. I can't say one is superior only what my experiences were on 3 different heat tent type grills compared to one using ceramic tiles or briquettes. Though I will say the tiles left less grease than the briquettes but the differences were not night and day. In the end the BroilMaster is gone because the other grills were simply more versatile not because of how I had to clean them.

It was actually personal experience using both side by side. I found in many ways the BroilMaster with either briquettes or the tiles (I used it both ways0 burned up drippings to more of an "ash" consistency that was quite easily just vacuumed out with my shop vac where the steel flavorizers did not and allowed far more grease to go through. Again side by side cooking with both my Genesis and the Summit 450. Same with the Wolf for that matter. It too uses a heat tent system and also allows far more grease to get through. Now whether you would rather scrape out and wipe up grease as opposed to pretty much vacuuming out ashes that is a matter of personal taste. I can't say one is superior only what my experiences were on 3 different heat tent type grills compared to one using ceramic tiles or briquettes. Though I will say the tiles left less grease than the briquettes but the differences were not night and day. In the end the BroilMaster is gone because the other grills were simply more versatile not because of how I had to clean them.

I appreciate the further explanation. But it's still a personal subjective experience and not fact. My experience was different. It wasn't sure by side but still 2 different grills owned within a few months of each other with a vastly different experience than yours.

In my case after several months time there was a large quantity of grease and "gunk" on most of the individual ceramic briquettes that did not turn to ash. It stuck around on those briquettes until I scraped it off. And if I didn't remove it the grill was prone to have a mini grease fire or fires in top of those briquettes. And taking those briquettes out to scrape them all off was a horrible and time consuming job.

But the difference might be that the broilmaster gets hot enough to turn that gunk to ash whereas the cheaper grills i was using did not? So it may be an apples to oranges comparison.

Still I'll take rcplanebuyer or Bbqparts stainless flavorizors over those briquettes every time.

Oh, what I did was simply turn them over every other cook or so. Both the plates and the briquettes. As soon as it fired off everything burned right off. That is how I handled it. I didn't realize you were referencing the top of the briquettes.

Those grills were junque anyway. Weber made a real "stinker" with those. I know some people collect them but I fail to see why you would want something collected that was no good to begin with. Ahhh but then people do collect Edsels :D

Yeah, that would be a nut like me. I love old cars but content myself with looking at magazines. If I could have a small stable of old cars it would be dominated by orphan brands most wouldn't be interested in. Sure, I love 55-57 Chevys, classic Corvettes, etc. But for me, give me a Hudson Hornet, Studebaker Starlight Coupe, Kaiser Manhattan, AMC Ramber/Concord/Pacer or, yes, an Edsel! :cool: . I love most of these for their uniqueness and even oddity, although a few were also good cars as well.

Collecting grills is the same thing, really. From all accounts, the Weber gas kettle was a poorly working flop as Larry points out form first hand knowledge. That wouldn't stop me from getting one to collect - and if possible even try out - nonetheless. There are some grills that are "collectible" because they were so good and maybe even better than today - think early Genesis & maybe even 1st generation Summits. There are others that are just unique or even odd. The Broilmaster D2 "double" grill I just got probably fits both bills, whereas the Weber gas kettle is just in the latter category.

I guess the fix to burning all the drippings is a charcoal grill were dripping fall directly on the extremely hot coal and burn off. But that is a different design altogether. I wonder how it could be adapted to gas, maybe impossible.
Or the flavorizer bars and ceramic briquettes are as good as a solution we going to get ?

Back