Check out my Skyline find

Is the extra burner knob any different than the regular three burner knobs?

The regular burner knobs have a stem, the side burner knob does not.

Thanks for the offer, Jon. A while back, I parted out a 2005 Silver B that came with black knobs and igniter button and I liked how they looked, so I installed them on my 2004 Gold B. I added a side burner which came with a white knob. I ordered a new black "regular" knob for the side burner, not realizing that they were different until it was time to install it.

I improvised by cutting off the new knob's stem. It works, and I don't have to worry about the paint coming off the knob. But if a black side burner knob exists, I'd buy it. I'm not sure one exists, though. I've seen plenty of 2005 3-burners with the black knobs, not sure if I've ever seen a black side burner knob.

41770483430_06314e931e_h.jpg

Last edited:
Jon, I love the red kettle on your Weber emblem. Please share how you did that.
Also, the handle, and black knobs. Great looking grill.

Dave,
I confess that I hand painted with regular red paint. It probably will fail. However on my next attempt I am going to spray some high temperature red into a plastic cup and brush it on from that.

Thanks for enjoying! I like the white, too, but it was very hard as a non-artist to make it come out. On my next emblem job, I am going to try leaving everything raised in raw metal and just paint the kettle red (with high heat as described).

The regular burner knobs have a stem, the side burner knob does not.

I improvised by cutting off the new knob's stem. It works, and I don't have to worry about the paint coming off the knob. But if a black side burner knob exists, I'd buy it. I'm not sure one exists, though. I've seen plenty of 2005 3-burners with the black knobs, not sure if I've ever seen a black side burner knob.

I haven’t either. The Silver C I got didn’t have a side burner knob, so I don’t know if it was black or not. The burner valve was stuck, so the knob was probably broken off.

Only time will tell, but I am really happy so far with the Krylon Fusion paint job. It looks enough better than the faded original regular knobs that I am sorely tempted to paint over them, too. But like you, I think about harsh cleaning so I am trying to be satisfied with what the black trim restorer was able to do.

Larry,
I do agree that what you say makes perfect sense, but why does it turn back to black while it is wet or immediately after waxing? It seems like if it were purely a color change inside the porcelain that being wet would have no impact. Instead it does seem like there are pores or something that the water/wet wax fills temporarily. Once it dries the effect goes away.

The reason is the water changes the "optics" (literally) of the coating. Since the coating is basically glass fused to steel if you make it wet it will change how light reflects back and pick up deeper pigments giving the illusion of going back to black. It's all due to the refractory index of the water on the coating. I have one here that is the same way. This was an issue primarily on the black lids only. I think Weber may have had some faulty pigments in a certain production range

So maybe what is needed is an application of high heat clear-coating???? (I do know that is not a good idea, but desperation brings out desperate ideas...)

I, too, have noticed that this seems to be primarily a black grill problem. I recently sold a black Weber kettle with the same issues; it was always covered, so the Florida sun is not to blame. I guess just heat and time. When you see a red grill that is dull, it seems to have a lot better potential for shining up again. That, I suppose, is just accumulated dirt and grime. They don't tend to exhibit the "white dot" fade that the black grills can get.

Yeah there is something about the black color that seems to get a UV or heat induced fade especially on kettles and Genesis grills however I have never seen it happen on Summit models

I read in an old thread about coating the dreaded fade with SPAM - which does admittedly work - but after I fired up the grill for testing/cleaning, it of course burned away. I did notice an interesting pattern/texture on the lid, as if the cover was put on one day, perhaps while still smoking hot. Or the cover was left on without moving it, through years of snow and rain. I'm not a forensic scientist but the texture on my faded lid looks man-made.

Below is a pic (sorry about the reflection of the garage siding). I'll get some better shots.

rK9bcgF.jpg

So anyway, I made quick work out of the Spirit 520 Skyline. All new guts inside firebox. I stayed with porcelain and the Durawood table. Liked it better as "stock." The lid has the dreaded "fade" but I did the best that I could. At some point, you just have to say I can't rub this lid anymore. I have about 125 into it now, I am going to list it for sale just to see if I can make a few bucks on it. If no action, I'll be cookin' burgers on it soon!!

83UXFYJ.jpg

iJwKUAw.jpg

You have it looking really nice Tony. I will be following this to see how you do with it.
It will be interesting to see if the Skyline will do any better than a regular model.

Those are great little grills. My buddy bought mine to give to his son, who still uses and loves it, I picked up another to give to wonderful friend in our bible study group who also absolutely loves it. Not sure you'll make $$$ on it though as the little 2 burner is not that popular (though not sure why)

Yah, it looks good. I would think you can get your money back plus a little for your time. Being a two burner might hold down the price a little though.

Is that grill supposed to not have wheels on the left like the older Genesis grills?

Nope, no wheels on left. If I added casters the grill would not be level - it would be 2" higher on that side. I thought about picking up some 10" wheels for the right (from Harbor Freight), to level it out once casters go on, but that thought only lasted one minute! I think it looks cool, it is a very utile and simple grill. My wife wants to keep it BUT only use it for baking cookies and such. IDK about that!

You can always do what I did to my old Genesis 2. Cut off about 1.5" on that side and install the Weber casters.

Nope, no wheels on left. If I added casters the grill would not be level - it would be 2" higher on that side. I thought about picking up some 10" wheels for the right (from Harbor Freight), to level it out once casters go on, but that thought only lasted one minute! I think it looks cool, it is a very utile and simple grill. My wife wants to keep it BUT only use it for baking cookies and such. IDK about that!

I added wheels to my Spirit 700 as the bottom of each frame piece had some rust from sitting on my cement patio for the last 15 years. I ended up cutting 1 3/4" off the bottom of each leg and added the casters.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?71307-Weber-Spirit-700&highlight=spirit+700

Jeff

Tony,
I think your Skyline looks great. While I have gone admittedly overboard on my Skyline Genesis, I also really like the simple, stock look of yours. It may not sell in a few days, but it is well worth your cost plus a return for your hard work. Good thing you are far away so I don’t get any crazy ideas of having BOTH Skyline styles!:rolleyes:

Tony,
I think your Skyline looks great. While I have gone admittedly overboard on my Skyline Genesis, I also really like the simple, stock look of yours. It may not sell in a few days, but it is well worth your cost plus a return for your hard work. Good thing you are far away so I don’t get any crazy ideas of having BOTH Skyline styles!:rolleyes:

Jon I wasn't going to admit to this because I thought you'd all think I'm nuts, but this past Saturday I picked up a Skyline 3200 to refurbish, and it's all your fault! That beauty you are working on led me to jump on this project opportunity, especially when I saw it had the accessory basket!

wRTS6Sm.jpg

Jon I wasn't going to admit to this because I thought you'd all think I'm nuts, but this past Saturday I picked up a Skyline 3200 to refurbish, and it's all your fault! That beauty you are working on led me to jump on this project opportunity, especially when I saw it had the accessory basket!

wRTS6Sm.jpg

I have the same grill, got it brand new in 1998, I will post some pictures as soon as I get it done

Back