Charcoal Sales

Keith R

TVWBB Fan
I am not 100% sure where this topic would belong, so I apologize if I am posting in the wrong area of the forum. But I did have a question about charcoal and more specifically sales on charcoal .

I am very new to the smoking and WSM family. Just got my 22.5 WSM about 3-4 weeks ago. But I have spent tons of time on this board and a few others. I have seen comments here and there about loading up on charcoal when it is on sale. Maybe especially the Kingsford Blue Bags that for now I am trying to learn on.

So here is my question - are there seasonal sales on this or is it more just every once in awhile? what are some of the stores that might tend to run the sales (if there are some stores that normally do). Should I have y eyes open during any specific time of the year?

The standard rate I have seen is about $20.00 for the 2pack of 20Lb bags ($0.50/lb). But have seen folks say they aim for a $0.25/$0.26 lb. range.

Thoughts on this in general? and again sorry if this should of been in another topic area.

thanks guys.

This time of year your kinda stuck with what the stores have to offer. You never know if you check out the CL shelves in lawn & garden you could find a bargain bag.
Most sales start when the weather breaks (early spring)

Tim

Like Dave and Tim said, around the major grilling holidaze you'll see those 20 lb two packs on sale at Lowes and Home Depot. I imagine other stores have it for sale as well. That's when most folks buy charcoal. SWMBO doesn't like large quantities on hand so I try to buy only enough to get me from one holiday to the next. In the winter I bite the bullet and buy as needed.

Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day

Lowes and Home Depot normally have sales for the above holidays. Walmart normally has 2 packs of 18# bags on these holidays. Won't buy those again. With a WSM22 I prefer the 20# bags

OK, got it. Makes sense. never know if they sales are during the SLOW times or what would be considered the highest demand times. I'll keep my eyes open around memorial day. That's a long way away unfortunately.

I did find the 8 lb or so smaller bags on clearance at a Meijer gas station for $2.12 each a few weeks ago. they only had 4 left. Then when I went to buy them they said they would only sell me 2 of them for some reason. I asked why a few times and they said it was store policy (huh???). So I gave $5.00 to my 8 year old son that was with me and he told her he wanted 2 bags as well when I was done paying for mine ha ha. she gave in...

OK so I am starting my note to the wife now:

"Dear love of my life,

Please don't look in the corner of the garage after May 22nd...

Love,
The guy that cooks dinners for the family on the weekends and even a weekday now and then."

OK so I am starting my note to the wife now:

"Dear love of my life,

Please don't look in the corner of the garage after May 22nd...

Love,
The guy that cooks dinners for the family on the weekends and even a weekday now and then."

Unless you are a very occasional cooker, it makes a lot of sense to find and use some storage space. As has been noted in this thread, the sales are basically half off and charcoal has a really good shelf life if kept dry. Then there is simple availability in the off season. Not to mention just having back up (kind of like having an extra propane tank handy in case you run out mid cook). Personally, I recommend getting all you need for the entire year on the first big sale in May and then doing a gut check toward the end of the summer to see if you need to load up any more on the last sale. Multiply out the savings and look at the total cost /savings over the course of a year and the more you cook, the more worth it it will be.

There is also usually sales at those places on Good Friday. The price is usually a couple of dollars higher than the summer sales. Costco usually starts carrying Kingsford competition at that time for a good price as well. You may want to check current prices at Sams club.

Unless you are a very occasional cooker, it makes a lot of sense to find and use some storage space. As has been noted in this thread, the sales are basically half off and charcoal has a really good shelf life if kept dry. Then there is simple availability in the off season. Not to mention just having back up (kind of like having an extra propane tank handy in case you run out mid cook). Personally, I recommend getting all you need for the entire year on the first big sale in May and then doing a gut check toward the end of the summer to see if you need to load up any more on the last sale. Multiply out the savings and look at the total cost /savings over the course of a year and the more you cook, the more worth it it will be.

Yes I do have some room in the garage I can stack up a bunch. pretty dry location. That is what I plan on doing. when I firt got the WSM about 3-4 weeks ago I did buy 2 of the 20 lb. 2 packs and four different bags of wood from home depot. Also the chimney starter and I did get a rib rack I had on a table by all the stuff. wife doesn't really care at all, I was just joking, but she did come home the first time, pulled car in and saw the piles of stuff and did ask me "what the heck is all of that? ha ha.

I do have a very nice Weber propane grill (genesis silver model from 7-8+ years ago I love). I have 2 propane tanks for that too for the exact reason you noted. I also use them on an outdoor propane turkey fryer stove to brew beer.

Back