Charcoal on Genesis Gas Grill

MikeAg

I need more smoke and flavor than I presently get using cast iron chip boxes on my three burner Genesis. I have read about cast iron charcoal trays that also have space for wood chips. It goes on top of the flavor bars. You then have charcoal and gas. Does anyone have any thoughts if it would work on my Genesis?

Not so sure there would be enough room between the flavorizer bars and the grate to fit in between them.
Wouldn't it be just as easy to use a kettle some of the time? You could also try wood chunks between the coals
as they do not burn up as quickly as the chips.

There's only 1-2 inches between my flavorizer bars and the grates. Barely enough room to fit a short smoker box. I would think the heat source would be too close to whichever food you're trying to cook.

But hey, there's no harm in trying and possibly failing. I just don't know if you'll notice a huge spike in flavor over a smoker box with how we ventilated gas grills are.

Before you spend any money, maybe try foiling 66-75% of the ventilated back, starting at the opposite end of your food. Possibly more smoke will build up.

Ill sometimes put a chunk of wood between the burners to get some smoke flavor in there. Its not a huge flavor change, but its better than nothing.

rb

I've used a cast iron box, a sheet metal box, foil packets, and this is the only thing I've been happy with.... loved it for the 1.25 years I've had it so far:

Mo's Smoking Pouch:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B008UFE364/tvwb-20

It starts smoking quickly, lasts a couple+ cooks between refills, easy to maintain, doesn't get in the way... I've seen no downside. Even if I don't fill like refilling it I'll just cook with it in place. Great smoke flavor (nice and clean) too. I don't soak the chips or do anything unusual---it's just easy & in case you can't tell :) I like it.

81SRBGmJ06L._SL1500_.jpg

Don't remember where I got it but I have a cast iron smoker box that fits on my Geneses between the grill and bars. Works well.

Buy or make a tube for pellets like amazenproducts sells. I did and have used Traeger hickory or mesquite pellets and can easily get hours of smoke on a old Genisis nat gas grill. I have tried the Weber smoking box and cast iron boxes and foil pouches without good results. So, I am beyond that all now. Now, if I can just get the cooking to come out better ! Now my thoughts are am I getting enough smoke into the meat. Thanks. *BW*

Note:
I have a serious caution...

Gas grill's serious ventilation are there for a VERY real reason. Safety! If a burner goes out, and remains unnoticed, gas can build up into the grill and create an explosion. Maybe some of you remember the the U-tube clip that showed a gas grill explosion. People have been killed.

Under no circumstances would I try to minimize the ventilation in a gas grill. Using a smoke pouch or an Amazen tube is the way to go if you need more smoke. I have a gas grill and use it occasionally, so I am NOT anti "gas grill".

Lets stay safe, folks, please!

FWIW
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Excellent point! Get the A-Mazen tube and a new (used) kettle! Just one reason to get another tool for the kit!
I like that reasoning.
Dale, thanks for keeping us safe!

Ill sometimes put a chunk of wood between the burners to get some smoke flavor in there. Its not a huge flavor change, but its better than nothing.

rb

I'm with Rusty on this one . . . I cut a wedge shaped 2" chunk of wood that fits nicely in between my flavour bars. \ V / I cook with one burner at one notch above low ( 230F ish) and it gives me a very nice smoked flavour. If I go much above 250F I end up with the wood burning.

Back