Charcoal holding grill rusting.

Ben in MO

I bought my 22" kettle 4th of July weekend and have cooked on it every sat. and sun. since. I've cleaned it with dawn and water after each weekend. With all this rain and humidity in my area the lower charcoal grill is already rusting though. I am wondering if I could remove the rust and use a high temp. paint? I worry that this could put chemicals into the food though. Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

Those grill grates should not be painted. Those grates will last several years. No worry about the rust IMO.

I would not use paint. It won’t hold up. Rust on the charcoal grate is normal, and it really should not affect things much short term.
If it really bothers you, you can look at a stainless replacement from KillaGrilla, but that won’t be particularly cheap

I bought my 22" kettle 4th of July weekend and have cooked on it every sat. and sun. since. I've cleaned it with dawn and water after each weekend. With all this rain and humidity in my area the lower charcoal grill is already rusting though. I am wondering if I could remove the rust and use a high temp. paint? I worry that this could put chemicals into the food though. Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated.
This is totally normal. It is regular carbon steel so it rusts. Do not paint it as the paint can outgas fumes that you do not want in your food.

I suppose you could scrub it clean down to bare metal then rub it with vegetable oil; treat it like it was a cast iron pan.

If it really bothers you, there are SS grates available. Killa Grilla makes a direct replacement for Weber 7441, but it's pricey for a charcoal grate, $57.
https://killagrilla.square.site/pro...ll-grate-kg-7441-weber-replacement/11?cs=true

That's nearly the price of three stock Weber 7441 grates, but the killa grilla will easily outlast ten stock grates.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your replies. I did what J said and scotch brited it down to metal, threw it in the oven and then coated it with vegetable shortening like it was cast iron. I doubt it will last forever with direct heat but it will at least extend the life of it. I appreciate all the responses. I figured paint was a bad idea but you all helped confirm it.

Just oil it don't even bother grinding it at all.

I got a SS grate and think it's just about perfect and doesn't break the bank

They are raw steel and will rust. Leaving some drippings on them helps, but they aren't for looks, just for holding charcoal.
Mine are still original. 06 OTG, 08 18" WSM. 2012 22" WSM, 2012 Performer.

Tim

This is truly a mystery to me, I have had my original kettle in the “overperformer” for pushing twenty five years and I’m maybe on a third coal grate. What are people doing to destroy these things? Proximity to seawater not withstanding.
I don’t treat it as a showpiece, it is a tool which needs some maintenance but, I’m not one to tear down and clean it after every use, heck, if it gets brushed out twice a year (spring and fall) that’s about it. But, I use my grill year round, major holidays, birthdays, Sadie Hawkins day, New Years, 12th night, Valentine’s Day, the list goes on...
but, how do people eat up a coal grate in a year or two (or in the OP’s case a matter of months)?
Tim, are we related somehow?

It's not "ate up" by any means just beginning to rust on the surface. Being a sheet metal and body guy I jump on any form of corrosion right away lol. Probably a little nit picky and anal retentive about it honestly. That's the reason my '99 dodge is rust free and that's saying something in the midwest 😅.

Never use high heat paint or any material inside the kettle that isn't definitely food grade. Clean it and oil it is your best bet if you are trying to do it on the cheap. Best long term solution has been mentioned with Killa Grilla.

Just oil it don't even bother grinding it at all.

I got a SS grate and think it's just about perfect and doesn't break the bank

I was looking for this post earlier today when I read the original post but I could not seem to find it even when I searched, a me issue for sure. I am glad you added to this thread!
When it is time for me to replace my charcoal grate I will be spending the money and going Stainless Steel. I have bookmarked this post to reference whenever it becomes time.

I was looking for this post earlier today when I read the original post but I could not seem to find it even when I searched, a me issue for sure. I am glad you added to this thread!
When it is time for me to replace my charcoal grate I will be spending the money and going Stainless Steel. I have bookmarked this post to reference whenever it becomes time.
No problem! It's a nice grate, I know the KillaGrilla might be a little beefier, but so is the price. This one is only $34 shipped so much more reasonable

After each cook, I use a stiff brush and give it a quick brushing. Mine is rusty and 5 plus years old. I would also point out that I keep covers on my Performed and my WSMs. Not sure that it helps???

The charcoal grate on my Performer doesn't even get brushed off. I just let it roll. 5+ years now and on my 1st grate still. Granted, I live in the Utah desert, so there isn't any humidity issue to deal with.

OP whatever you are doing currently is fine I'm sure. Keep on truckin'.

Back