Charcoal grate rust question

Matt Parris

Hi Everyone,

I bought a WSK E6 about a month ago and am beginning to get some heavy rust on the fire grate. Before anyone asks, once I shut it down, I reopen the bottom and top vent to let any humidity out. Just curious what your thoughts are on this, the grill lives under a covered patio so it never gets water on it but it does live by a pool so the humidty is always high. Is this a normal occurrence similar to the BGE fire grate rust?

Attachments

• IMG_3884.jpeg
    IMG_3884.jpeg
    259.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

I bought a WSK E6 about a month ago and am beginning to get some heavy rust on the fire grate. Before anyone asks, once I shut it down, I reopen the bottom and top vent to let any humidity out. Just curious what your thoughts are on this, the grill lives under a covered patio so it never gets water on it but it does live by a pool so the humidty is always high.
If your WSK E6 is Registered with Weber why not contact their Customer Service or the Weber Dealership where you bought your WSK regarding this problem.

Interesting. I now appreciate that Weber reps are expected to know every part of every grill and what it should look like at every number of months/years after purchase. Small wonder that people have varying results when they call the company.

Copied from the link below

Despite being known for its extremely corrosion-resistant features, stainless steel is prone to rust in certain circumstances. Although rusty metals are often a result of water exposure, stainless steel will also rust from exposure to damaging chemicals, saline, grease, or prolonged exposure to heat.

Copied from the link below

Despite being known for its extremely corrosion-resistant features, stainless steel is prone to rust in certain circumstances. Although rusty metals are often a result of water exposure, stainless steel will also rust from exposure to damaging chemicals, saline, grease, or prolonged exposure to heat.
Anyone with stainless steel Flavorizer bars in a Weber gas grill learns that they rust and break down over time.

The charcoal grate and its support ring are not made of stainless steel like the cooking grate. It's going to start rusting from first use.

It should last several years before it becomes unusable, dependent on use and weather conditions.

The charcoal grate and its support ring are not made of stainless steel like the cooking grate. It's going to start rusting from first use.

It should last several years before it becomes unusable, dependent on use and weather conditions.
I thought they are stainless on the WSK

I thought they are stainless on the WSK
The cooking grate is stainless. The charcoal/fuel grate is heavy duty steel. Surface corrosion on it is very common, especially in certain environments. My charcoal grate looked like that after about a month or two also. It'll continue to functional perfectly unless the wires start to deteriorate, bend, or the welds come undone. #IworkforWeber.

The cooking grate is stainless. The charcoal/fuel grate is heavy duty steel. Surface corrosion on it is very common, especially in certain environments. My charcoal grate looked like that after about a month or two also. It'll continue to functional perfectly unless the wires start to deteriorate, bend, or the welds come undone. #IworkforWeber.
I still use the OEM charcoal grates on My 06 OTG and SJP and 08 WSM.
When they look rusty and sagging I'll drop them down on the driveway ( flat) and flip them over and step on them to flatten them out.
Most of the rust gets knocked off. I did do the double grate mod because I use lump on occasion.

I still use the OEM charcoal grates on My 06 OTG and SJP and 08 WSM.
When they look rusty and sagging I'll drop them down on the driveway ( flat) and flip them over and step on them to flatten them out.
Most of the rust gets knocked off. I did do the double grate mod because I use lump on occasion.
Ha! That's definitely one way to get them back in shape! When I saw you mention driveway I almost expected for you to say you drove over them with your car.

Back