Charcoal chefs, do you also use Gas?

AlWielgosz

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm debating if I should add a "Gas Grill" to my outdoor cook station.
Some background first. I do 95% of the cooking in my house, family of four (wife and two teenagers). I also love to entertain and cook for friends & family. I also host two summer time party's of 20-30 people. We live in upstate NY where the weather changes quickly, I do grill all year around. I have a covered pavilion with a Weber Performer set up.
When I bought my Performer new 20 plus years ago I gave my big gas grill with side burner away and have only used charcoal since.
I lurked on this site for 2 years and decided to up my cooking skills and get into "Smoke". I just purchased a WSM.
For one of these parties I usually do babybacks on the performer and it can handle 6 racks, I time them to be ready close to the time everyone is ready to eat, I also do burgers and dogs either on the sides over the coals (very limited space) or wait until the ribs are off. This group stay's late into the night and we always cook a second time.
Now the other party is more like "Woodstock" people start arriving on Thursday afternoon and stay until Monday :D, (that's another story!) I have done pork loin, brisket, burgers, dog's, chicken..... well you get it we cook every day and stay up late each night.
When not entertaining we still cook many nightly family dinners out back in the summer (we have a pool back there also).
OK so I get the smoker and that will take care of my long cooks now and leave the Performer open. I also like to do veggies, and boil salt potatoes, and corn when in season. I used the side burner on the old gas grill for that and now use a big propane (fryer) burner for the large pots of water.
I have the room for a gas grill and just want to see how many of you do find it usefull and what you cook on it? The new grill's have come a long way, So would it complete my kitchen and be worth the investment?
Of course I'm one of those guy's that love toy's and like to have the tool's to do the job right. I'm looking at a Genesis E330.
I have noticed on many a poster's footer's that you have both gas and charcoal. See it's all your fault! So make the investment or not?
Sorry this is so long winded......but that's who I'am.
Thank's for any advise, Al

I use my gas grill also when im a little lazy... Or if I'm doing a quick burgers and hotdogs. I do 90 percent of the cooking at our home. That's probably why I can have all the grills because I tell my wife I'm not cooking inside if I can do outside. My wife knows how to cook but because our work schedule I get home early an get the food ready by 6 when she comes home.

I only use propane when I take my Weber Q to tailgates, and camping. It's just more convenient sometimes. I turned my back on using propane at home many years ago and never have I looked back, nor do I have any reservations about going strictly charcoal. With my performer and a chimney starter loaded with lump I can have my grill ready to go in about 20 min. I guess the whole time issue has never been a big deal. I crack a beer when I am getting her going, and by the time I am done the grill is just about ready to throw food on.
That being said you should do what makes the most sense for you.

I have all three(OT,WSM, and Genesis) and all are great tools for different jobs. For anything quick(steaks,burgers, dogs, fish) I use the Genesis. For midrange time high heat cooks(chicken parts) I use the OT. For long cooks I use the WSM. I used the gasser almost exclusively from 09 to 12, after only having the OT from 00 to 09, but got to missing charcoal so picked up the WSM this year. I highly recommmend the Genesis and feel it is a great tool for what it does. I do recommend the EP-330 because then you get the stainless steel guts. I have the PCI guts and they are good but the stainless will last longer.

I use my gas grill also when im a little lazy... Or if I'm doing a quick burgers and hotdogs. I do 90 percent of the cooking at our home. That's probably why I can have all the grills because I tell my wife I'm not cooking inside if I can do outside. My wife knows how to cook but because our work schedule I get home early an get the food ready by 6 when she comes home.
Tony are we related?:D Exactly my thoughts, and yes wife's are a bit forgiving when your doing all the cooking, and I'm also home first.
All great points everyone thank you all so much for your inputs.

i think they all have their place. good choices are a q grill or a good used genesis gotten from craigs list. i use my q when i'm not wanting to spend much time outside, to hot or to cold.

I do most of the cooking at our house due to our work schedules. Plus, I really enjoy doing it and do most of it outdoors. In addition to living here in the mild weather of Georgia, my grilling area is a covered slab where the previous owner used to park his RV. So I not only grill year round, I grill even when the weather is less than ideal. I use both charcoal and gas. I am fortunate enough to have a Summit as well as a little Q so I can do pretty much anything from quick burgers to full multi-course meals on gas and I have done it often. Gas is more than just a time saver to me. If I had to pick just one, it would be charcoal but there are lots of things that I prefer to do on gas. For example, fish is one thing I definitely prefer to do on gas. Until my recent acquisition of a kamado grill, I used to do all my pizzas on my Summit. Where gas really shines is for things that are either delicate like fish or things that require positive control of the temperature like baking.

Here is a link to a similar discussion I had on this topic with Kevin Kohlman, the Weber Grilling Guru when he hung out with us here at TVWBB.

Last edited:
Don thanks, that was great. I was thinking pretty much along your thoughts on what to cook on what. Thanks for that link very interesting.

My gas grill has been covered for 3 years sight unseen. I have no idea what condition it is in now. I do have an outdoor propane camp stove and a banjo burner style burner as well that my round bottom wok fits perfect on and I do use both of them a lot. I can cook our whole meal outside and not run back and forth to the kitchen, in theory anyways. I always seem to forget something and have to run inside anyway.

I have the trifecta:

1. weber genesis (my first grill ever) with smoker stainless steel small box i bought at w.mart
2. weber wsm (christmas gift from hubby, yes, i wanted a smoker for christmas, im addicted)
3. weber kettle (refer to number 2)

I mostly use my gas grill for during the week. I do all the cooking and work full time so the gas grill is fast and furious as i call it for m-th. Friday i can use the charcoal and relax while cooking. I also use the gas grill for boneless chicken breast because it cooks to fast for the smoker and its not worth wasting the charcoal on the kettle.

hope this helps

I know the "gas is quicker" argument has been brought up already, but I mainly go with the gas route because I hate the clean-up of charcoal and waiting longer to cover the grill back up (Might not be as much of an issue for you with a covered area). Also, if you grill 4-5 times per week, the price difference adds up quickly between gas and quality charcoal. But I think all three options are a good thing to have depending on what you are cooking and if you are going for a relaxing day of barbecue or a fast and furious grilling session. The last thing to keep in mind is that you can never have too much grilling surface area. I find that I have no problem finding enough food to fill the space available.

I also have the cast iron griddle that replaces one of the grates on the genesis and it is great for fish or quesadillas. High heat with temp control. It is also the primary way I cook breakfast. I am hoping to get a cast biscuit pan gor Father's Day to do biscuits on the genesis. There is very little I can cook on that thing.

Curt, I would love to do breakfast on it, how large is that griddle? How many eggs can it hold?

Thanks everyone, I think for the all around package I should add one. If Lowes deals me a 12 or 18 month plan I'll order one. I'd love to find a Redhead to restore but have seen nothing in our area CL yet.

I have the trifecta(kettle,gas,smoker) and love it. I have the Genesis EP-330 for gas and it's a fantastic grill. You have to go through a local dealer(ACE hardware or the like) to get the EP model, they don't sell them in the box stores. Great for burgers and dogs and I can make a rotisserie chicken that melts in your mouth on the gasser. You can find a dealer in your area through Weber.com.

Last edited:
I cook my eggs scrambled in a 12" Cast Iron skillet. The griddle takes the place of an existing grate and I cook the meat on there for breakfast. It also holds about 7 large fillets. I will post last weekends cook of fish shortly. Here is a breakfast cook.
[/URL

I forgot to say that that is 12 extra large eggs in the skillet. I am cooking for a family of 7(wife and 5 kids ranging from 12 to 7) so I have to cook a lot.

I just remembered something else. I concur with the rotisserie being a great little tool. Pork loins, chickens(although those are better on the WSM), and whole pineapples do well on their. Sorry for the multiple posts.

Thanks Curt, great picture. My son is 15 6ft 205 football/wrestler he would have eaten all of that!
I have a nice selection of cast iron pans and round griddle from my wife's grandmothers restaurant. I also just bought a 9.5 x 22 flat cast griddle off ebay.
I'll have to round them all up, where do you store your cast iron? Inside?

Back