Charcoal basket

If you have a WSM, looks like Arborfab makes a round basket that would fit. All the baskets I saw on Lava Lock were cube shaped.

Some forum members really like the Arborfab.... I've not really found a need to replace the stock charcoal ring on my 22 WSM. I can usually get 12 or more hours of cook time out of low and slow cooking on a full load of charcoal.

In my opinion, it’s a great addition to the WSM. What’s not to like, increased capacity, air flow, longer burn with the smaller holes & the ability to use lump without falling through.

Attachments

• IMG_3356.JPG
    IMG_3356.JPG
    177.9 KB · Views: 78
I like my arborfab basket for the 14 size because I can still use my water pan. Even leaving the OEM charcoal grate in place. I like greater capacity and I have even been known to stack briquettes around the perimeter of the water pan. Works great for something like smoking a big ole butt at 225.

My arborfab basket for the 18 size is still in the box - in my extra barbecue stuff stack. I agree with Chris' sentiments (above) on that size. The 18 has plenty of capacity for long cooks already. My opinion anyway.

Just got my arborfab basket combo yesterday and it's bigger than it looks! Solid materials! Oh it's the 22 inch size.

Scott
Would love to hear how it ends up working out for you. Im looking to pick one up possibly after Christmas. Just too much on my plate right now to divert any funds elsewhere..

I'm generally a fan of the Arborfab for my 18". The fact that it is huge and can go 14+ hours is awesome, but really, I mostly love the handle. The stock basket is far from broken, but it's kind of a pain to handle/clean. The Arborfab is a breeze to handle.

I've run 20 hours (or more) on my WSM with the stock ring at 225 during the summer. I really just don't see the need, like some other's have said. Even during the winter I haven't had to add charcoal on a brisket cook. I do mound it up a bit over the top of the ring. I will say that using KBB, the older formulation charcoal would last quite a bit longer. If it makes you happy though, I'd go for the Arborfab.

Thoughts on Lava Lock vs. Arborfab charcoal basket?

Never found the need
I extended my basket with $10 worth of expanded metal from home Depot. I think it was a 12x24 piece cut it into two 6x24 pieces with angle grinder with cutting wheel..... Made the 6-in wide pieces into a single long piece the right circumference and wedged it in there. I weldef everything but you can easily just bolt it together with little bolts /washers/nuts. It hold enough charcoal that's lasted lasted up to 21 hours I can't imagine needing more than that. Mine just stays in place by friction but you could use bolts or such also. I weldedld some handles to the lower grate out of some scrap rod which helps keep the bottom ring in place as well

IMG_20181229_172258572.jpg

Last edited:
Do any of you know if the small Arborfab minion starter basket would fit their charcoal assembly for the 14.5" WSM?
Vertically, either of the two would fit the smaller arborfab, though I would go with the shorter one. The problem is they are 6 inches wide, so if you have the integrated handle it might be a tight fit getting it down in.

Probably your best bet is to have a custom one made

Back