Charcoal basket for the Weber Summit Kamado

Paul Warner

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi all. I am a fan of the kick ash style baskets and have the BGE style in my large egg. Looking to do the same with my
Kamado but none existing seem to fit so well. I know many will say its not needed but i wanted to trial as it works so
well in other grills.

Has anyone had success with any SS baskets in their Kamado E6/S6? Thanks

I’m readying to make my own from Home Depot expanded metal, 24x24 and will shape it to my liking.

I worry about that type of metal off gassing, honestly don’t know much about it, but I doubt it’s anything close to stainless steel. I’ve been warned in the past to avoid cooking around galvanized.

UDS home made baskets have been expanded metal for years its not galvanized mine is roughly 6" high 12" diameter with a pizza pan underneath with bolts to lift it up a few inches from the pizza pan. Not dead yet and my UDS is at least 10 years old if not more.

Expanded metal isn’t galvanized. We used to weld a lot of galvanized pipe supports, The old timers would tell you to drink milk to keep from getting sick.

Here is what I used yesterday…it’s out of my large BGE. Kick Ash basket.

Attachments

• DC4130FF-97D1-4D5F-BE65-3EFF73219570.jpeg
    DC4130FF-97D1-4D5F-BE65-3EFF73219570.jpeg
    237 KB · Views: 94
  • C49D61E3-B1D3-4109-BAF8-FCFA23C76246.jpeg
    C49D61E3-B1D3-4109-BAF8-FCFA23C76246.jpeg
    197.3 KB · Views: 87
Here is what I used yesterday…it’s out of my large BGE. Kick Ash basket.
Hi, i have used a basket from a KJ JJ with some success but wanted one that fitted better, ie the whole of the lower grate area. also surprised
Kick ash haven't manufactured one already.

Here is a pic or two
Note the amount of charcoal after about 6 hours of 225 degrees or so

Attachments

• 71EB2E2F-2B33-49A0-AFA2-BA01971865CD.jpeg
    71EB2E2F-2B33-49A0-AFA2-BA01971865CD.jpeg
    216.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 1D73EC7E-7066-4B29-A52C-27ED5D524A9F.jpeg
    1D73EC7E-7066-4B29-A52C-27ED5D524A9F.jpeg
    135 KB · Views: 54
I've had a BGE, a Vision Kamado, and a Broil King Keg all before my Summit Kamado.

While all the others benefited from a KAB, I don't see any benefit to adding one to the Summit with the ash removal system and the bottom grate setup.

The XL Kick Ash is too big for the E6 :(. I bought one to try the fit, I guess I will use it in the 26".

I just like ‘holding’ the charcoal together.
Me too
I use one of these in my Summit Charcoal

Me too
I use one of these in my Summit Charcoal

Well, dang. That looks perfect! So it looks like the charcoal chamber would allow a flush fit for another grate. From your description, that is a charcoal chamber from an 18” WSM ?
I want to get another grate to cook low on the coals, then use a half grate on top and then use my upper deck grate. This would give a three tier grate system (Like I use in my BGE).

If you're going to buy a WSM ring for your Summit, this looks like it's cheaper and made of better materials.

edit: it looks like it may be slightly different size, so double check before ordering!
Yeah, saw that one and also a version from arborfab.com (but this one is too big I think). I have sent an email to Arborfab asking about a custom fab-they claim they do that (a lot of other SS products on website). Never have heard back from kick ash baskets.

Well, dang. That looks perfect! So it looks like the charcoal chamber would allow a flush fit for another grate. From your description, that is a charcoal chamber from an 18” WSM ?
I want to get another grate to cook low on the coals, then use a half grate on top and then use my upper deck grate. This would give a three tier grate system (Like I use in my BGE).

Have you decided on what that other grate would be so you could cook it on the lower level right over the coals? Are you looking into another E6 charcoal grate? Or perhaps a grate rom a kamado Joe Jr or something like that around 15"?

Have you decided on what that other grate would be so you could cook it on the lower level right over the coals? Are you looking into another E6 charcoal grate? Or perhaps a grate rom a kamado Joe Jr or something like that around 15"?
Haven’t bought one yet, it doesn’t look like KJ baskets will fit either. ArborFab said they can custom make one for 50.00 upcharge on current price of 82.00. Only need the basket to be cut to 5” instead of standard 6” height. I sent them another email. If they want to charge for it, I believe I will just order the standard 18.5 WSM charcoal basket and just use my cut off tool to remove the 1” of material.

Side note, I did order a KillaGrilla grill grate and upper deck. I have this combo on my Performer and LOVE it. Super Heavy duty.

Back