Char Q Question

I have found someone that has a Char Q for sale and I know they do not come up very often. I am not sure what the range of prices seems to be for these. I am on the West Coast and he is asking $200 which seems too much. Just not sure what others have seen these sell for and wanted to get some guidance before I speak with him. This would just be an ancillary grill to play around with from time to time.

Bill, you looking at the one in San Jose? That person has a number of grills listed on CL, and, to me, the prices seem really high (ie: an older 2-burner Genesis for $385?!?) If they are selling at or near those prices, more power to him/her, but those numbers seem a bit high to me (even for the Bay Area!) ;)

On the flip side, the answer really comes down to how badly do you want it? Fortunately (or not), my wife has made it clear that the number of grills will not increase, so I just window shop now anyway! :)

R

Bill, you looking at the one in San Jose? That person has a number of grills listed on CL, and, to me, the prices seem really high (ie: an older 2-burner Genesis for $385?!?) If they are selling at or near those prices, more power to him/her, but those numbers seem a bit high to me (even for the Bay Area!) ;)

On the flip side, the answer really comes down to how badly do you want it? Fortunately (or not), my wife has made it clear that the number of grills will not increase, so I just window shop now anyway! :)

R
It is and his prices seem high. That is why he stills has not sold this or I imagine the others. For me, if the price is right then I would get it for some occasional cooks. My wife is looking around now also as I have had to pull things out due to some house repairs and is asking what is the plan. :)

I'm sure he doesn't take offense...he's been at it for quite a while now. We think his prices are high because we know what is involved with rehabbing and we don't mind getting dirty and doing the work ourselves.

My neighbor has a 36-foot 5th wheel trailer and a dedicated 1-ton dually tow vehicle. He pays a guy to come out to his house and pressure wash his truck, trailer, and his car before he goes camping, which is about every month or 6 weeks. He's a young guy and in great physical shape so I'm sure he could do the work himself, but his time is more valuable than whatever money he pays the guy. They both walk away happy.

Yah, I think for a fully rehabbed CharQ, that isn't a bad price. I sold a rehabbed one last spring for $220 including a collapsable cart. It was in good shape. The guy drove over 200 miles to meet me for the exhange.

Check this out...I bet Jon would love to have this. Not my grill, sadly.

View attachment 21232

Yes! That is a sweet deal that someone should jump on. This new PK is kind of an amped up CharQ in that it holds more fuel and can do low and slow to some extent along with regular high heat grilling.

I love my CharQ and would use it even more often if my wife had more affection for charcoal grilled food. I think that asking price is definitely on the high side. At the same time someone rehabbing and flipping grills should do all they can to make a good return. I have been on the short end of too many sales where I made very little money. So, I have no trouble with the seller trying to get a strong price.

If you really want a CharQ - and I would agree it is very desirable - I might at least check it out. However, that PKGo represents a better deal with a new grill model that is fully supported. That is a downside of the 10 year old discontinued CharQ.

I have found someone that has a Char Q for sale and I know they do not come up very often. I am not sure what the range of prices seems to be for these. I am on the West Coast and he is asking $200 which seems too much. Just not sure what others have seen these sell for and wanted to get some guidance before I speak with him. This would just be an ancillary grill to play around with from time to time.
hi bill ya its my grill the reason its so high is i really do not want to sell it and i know they are hard to find.... and i do know my grills are priced kind of high but every one wants a deal and a discount so if its priced at 350 and get a lower offer so i get close to what i do put a lot of time, love and $$ into my refabs and believe it or not i started doing refabs in April when i retired so far i have sold 45 grills since April and i take no offence to what is said. i love this site and get lots of great info.... keep on grilling peace out patrick

For what they ask for the Char Q, a Weber Goes Anywhere will give you a good portable charcoal grill,
and spend the rest on things to grill.

I grabbed one off FB Marketplace last month for just $60. It's not in the greatest shape, but I think I'll be able to clean it up when it warms up in the spring. Even though it's a fixer-upper, I knew they don't pop up often so I figured grab what I can!

That is a fine deal. If the charcoal pan is in decent shape, then the rest can all be dealt with.

Back