Char Q comes home

Mark B in STL

TVWBB Member
I have been watching for a long time and didn’t quite believe it when I saw it. A new never used Weber Char Q. It had already been in Facebook Marketplace for over a week. We agreed on $125. I’m not sure if I’m going to use it or just stare at it like a museum piece.

Yah, I grabbed a CharQ last fall for $40 in pretty good condition. Not New in Box however. That is a rare find. If it was me, it would be hard to actually just leave it on display. But, I am not a big coal guy, so if it was me, I would probably try to flip it for a nice profit. THere is likely a collector out there that would easily drop a couple bills for that.

By the way, if possible, could you post a photo of the inside with the grates removed and then one with the coal shelf removed.

Wow! What a find! Mine looks like a tired out soldier compared to that. The hard thing is that I really like USING mine. It would be really hard to bring myself to cook on that museum piece.

Nice find. It took me 3 years to find one. Then 2 months later I found another last fall.
Coincidently, I just pulled it out of storage Monday and will be getting it cleaned up
and posted for sale in the next few days.

Dave or anyone else that has rehabbed one of these things.
Have you repainted the lid and if so, how did that work out with the vent on top?

I repainted the lid red on my keeper. Drilled out the rivet, replaced w/
stainless bolt, washers and nut. I will NOT be doing this to my flip.
These are rare birds. The next owner can do so if they choose to.

Does the vent scrape the paint on your personal grill?

Will you still be painting the lid on the flip grill?

No scraping. It lays just right, so when it turns it just glides across.
NO PAINTING. I will be selling this as is. Fully cleaned and nice,
but stone stock. Kind of like you would an old collectible car.
I am not wanting to remove potential buyers by painting, adding a
hood scoop, changing wheels, changing the cam, adding headers,
blah, blah, blah.

Dang Dave, I would think a 6" lift on that thing would look great.
Actually, yah, I am pretty sure mine will go out bone stock as well. Even the coal rack in the bottom seems to be in pretty good shape. I think the grates will clean up well, so not much to worry about there. Can you even buy grates for them any more or would you just buy grates for a Q240?

Dave, is there anything else to these grills other than the coal pan and grates that go inside?

I repainted the lid red on my keeper. Drilled out the rivet, replaced w/
stainless bolt, washers and nut. I will NOT be doing this to my flip.
These are rare birds. The next owner can do so if they choose to.

I was hoping by using blue tape and patience to step by step paint the vent underneath area and avoid having to remove the vent. Do you think that is doable (for my keeper)?

I guess anything is doable, but that would take a lot of detailed work,
and even then, I'm not sure about the edges having a small ridge, or
being able to see the old color. I am very please with the bolt I put in
but I would think it would be easier to replace the rivet than to do that
detailed of paint work.

Back