Change to "Time limit on editing/deleting own posts"

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
In response to a recent incident, I have changed the setting for "Time limit on editing/deleting own posts" to 8 hours. This should provide plenty of time for members to review and edit their posts, or to delete a post for whatever reason.

As was the case before, members cannot delete a thread they started.

If you need help deleting a thread you started or editing/deleting a post beyond the 8 hour limit, please click the "Report" link at the lower left corner of the post and let me know.

Best regards,
Chris

Thanks Chris. I did not know what the old time limit was but there were times that I wish I could have been able to go back to edit a post, sometimes weeks and months later when I realized I had provided incorrect or less that optimal information in a post. But, in general, I think 8 hours should be plenty for most edits.

Thanks again for running this forum. It is much appreciated.

I liked the old limit. Cause it is better for those who follow long after.
Guess have to go real slow now.
See how it works for a while

How long was the old limit?
There was no time limit before. You could edit or delete a post that you posted 20 years ago.

The problem is when someone decides they're going to "pick up their toys and go home" by changing their post text to "Have a nice day" or deleting their posts altogether, they ruin the integrity of an established discussion thread.

It's not uncommon for forums to have some kind of time limit on editing or deleting posts. I don't think many of you are editing or deleting posts much beyond 8 hours. If we find that this new limit creates unintended consequences, we can certainly revisit this issue.

How long was the old limit?
I've updated posts days after with updates and corrections if I've mis stated something.

I think the long edit window is good for well intended users, yet can be abused.

Edit, but all that said 8 hours should be fine.

There was no time limit before. You could edit or delete a post that you posted 20 years ago.

The problem is when someone decides they're going to "pick up their toys and go home" by changing their post text to "Have a nice day" or deleting their posts altogether, they ruin the integrity of an established discussion thread.

It's not uncommon for forums to have some kind of time limit on editing or deleting posts. I don't think many of you are editing or deleting posts much beyond 8 hours. If we find that this new limit creates unintended consequences, we can certainly revisit this issue.
I only edit my typos or misspells. But whatever the chief wants, I’ll support it. It’s not like my spelling and errors will change anyways. I still promise to make silly mistakes. It’s my charm (really dyslexia). Side note, aren’t we all too old to argue? Just move on. Life’s too short to give free rent in one’s head to a cranky wanky.

I, too, prefer the longer edit time but understand the drawbacks as things were. While we're at it, I'd like to see a 7-10 day waiting period for new members to post. I hate seeing classifieds from a brand new member where it is quite obvious that they're going to be a "one and done" when and if the item sells. It also drives me crazy to see a newbie ask the same questions time and again when it is equally apparent they've made no effort to search the forum for an answer prior to posting.

Last edited:
I agree with Tom. I feel silly giving a nice warm welcome to a newbie that never shows up again. There must be someway to prevent people from joining only to be eligible to win something and never contribute to this site.

I agree with Tom. I feel silly giving a nice warm welcome to a newbie that never shows up again. There must be someway to prevent people from joining only to be eligible to win something and never contribute to this site.
Glad to see someone else feels the same way. I hesitated to share the thought in the first place wondering if I was alone in my way of thinking.

As the newbie, I'll take the contrarian view.

The best, most active communities that I have seen are the ones that embrace and encourage all new members. They patiently answer the repeat questions and help the one-and-dones troubleshoot their problems. In doing so, those communities build up a priceless base of helpful threads and increase their chances of being noticed by potential new members from generalized web searches.

At the start, there is no simple filter to determine who will become the next enthusiastic participant and who is a one-and-done. Your instincts about a new member may be right, but you never know for sure. The more barriers and discouragement you impose on new members, the more likely your forum will devolve into an echo chamber for old timers who dominate it and drive others away, especially newbies.

I have been here four days and spent a lot of time reading many threads and learning a lot. If this website had followed your suggested policies, I would not have joined nor stayed long enough to learn whether there is a place for me here.

Hi Tom, now lets hope Chris agrees with us. Maybe there should be a limit on how long since they joined, or maybe only if someone has X amount of posts. Things like that.

The best, most active communities that I have seen are the ones that embrace and encourage all new members. They patiently answer the repeat questions and help the one-and-dones troubleshoot their problems. In doing so, those communities build up a priceless base of helpful threads and increase their chances of being noticed by potential new members from generalized web searches.

At the start, there is no simple filter to determine who will become the next enthusiastic participant and who is a one-and-done. Your instincts about a new member may be right, but you never know for sure. The more barriers and discouragement you impose on new members, the more likely your forum will devolve into an echo chamber for old timers who dominate it and drive others away, especially newbies.

I have been here four days and spent a lot of time reading many threads and learning a lot. If this website had followed your suggested policies, I would not have joined nor stayed long enough to learn whether there is a place for me here.
Welcome, neighbor.

Hi Emory, a belated WELCOME

The only thing I can say about what I posted is, this site is the best. The members here have continually knocked themselves out helping new and old members with ALL kinds of problems. And yes, once in a while they come across someone who is not really interested in becoming an active member in response. But the members here keep on helping. You will have to search really hard to find a better group of people than what you will find here. Don't judge them by me, I am just an ol' far* who has too much time on her hands and just LOVES it here. Trust me, you will love it also. ;)

Welcome! Let’s just hope you stick around Emory and share your knowledge, jokes, mistakes, whatever. It really is a Great place here. 🙂

I wasn't fishing for a welcome, but thanks to all. I would have lurked much longer without joining, but I had a question to post. I posted an intro and was ready to post my question, but found the answer first. Since the intro was up, I thought I would join in where I can while we wait for our next grill to be delivered.

Welcome aboard and thanks for contributing to the discussion. Also, congrats on being the exception rather than the norm. I was a member for 6 months or more before making my first post so I've been there and done that myself. At the risk of sounding like a curmudgeon, I'd like to touch a bit deeper on a couple of your points with some follow-up thoughts of my own.
1. The best and most active communities are the ones that have members who participate in a variety of ongoing and sustainable topics on a regular basis. Spinning wheels on the same rehashed questions and drive-by members are not that.
2. Having to wait a few days to post is not the end of the world. Nothing we do here is of such a time sensitive nature that it can't wait a week to delve into despite how critical it might seem to someone in the moment.
3. This same waiting period would give a person the opportunity to search for an answer and therefore come up with a better or more complete question to pose. A better question = a better answer. And yes, it would weed out a good portion of the one and dones and classified droppers per se.
4. As for the database of threads for web searches etc, I would like to think that a few ongoing, detailed, and accurate threads on a topic would be more useful to a new or potential member than a whole bunch of similar threads with conflicting or incomplete responses on the same subject.
5. What you see as instinct, I see as a historical pattern.
6. In regards to the echo chamber of old timers, sadly, you are 100% correct. We absolutely do suffer from this as a group. I've seen quality thoughts or ideas shot down unceremoniously without cause because it doesn't fit into someone else's way of thinking on more than a few occasions. At times, we offend a new member in their very first post by being short or critical. Is it the question itself or the redundancy that leads to this? I sure don't know the answer.
Please don't read too far into anything I say. I don't mean to disparage at all and am actually thrilled for the engagement on the topic. I think this discussion is probably overdue and I would love to hear more people chime in one way or another. I'm even open to having my mind changed along the way.

Last edited:

Back