Ceramic Weber?

Alberto G

TVWBB Member
I love my kettles and wsm's but I've been itching to get me a primo xl ceramic grill/smoker. Anyone know if Weber has any plans to make a ceramic cooker? I wonder why they haven't ventured into this market yet?

Originally posted by Alberto G:
I love my kettles and wsm's but I've been itching to get me a primo xl ceramic grill/smoker. Anyone know if Weber has any plans to make a ceramic cooker? I wonder why they haven't ventured into this market yet?
Do want the ceramic for mainly smoking or just in general?
I'm opposite. I'm itching for a wsm. I have otg and love it and a ceramic. I love the ceramic also but lately my kettle has been getting all the work. I been smoking on the kettle also. Come winter though all the smoking will be done on the ceramic. My food seems more smokey tasting off the webers than the ceramic.

I highly doubt they would venture into the ceramic world with what is already out there. That being said, if they did make one with a great warranty and it was made in the USA, yeah, I would buy a Weber ceramic.

What they need to do is start offering more colors and perhaps designs (sports logos, flames, etc.) on the WSM's and kettles.

From Weber on this subject, July 2011:

“Sooner or later, the big boys are going to get into it,” Bobby Brennan, the president of Kamado Joe, said recently. “If Weber doesn’t make one soon, somebody in their strategy department needs to get fired.”

Weber thinks otherwise. “We have been carefully researching ceramic outdoor cookers,” said Michael Kempster, an executive vice president of Weber-Stephen Products, “and while they have a small and enthusiastic following, most outdoor grilling enthusiasts find them too expensive and too complicated to use.”

See the full article here:

The Cult of the Big Green Egg

Regards,
Chris

My WSM is ceramic... it's just very thin ceramic, with a steel core.
icon_wink.gif

I love my ceramic, however it is NOT the end all be all of cookers! It has its place. It does not make better food....you the "cook" does!

They are awesome for roasting and casseroles/pizza, etc............. but that can be done with Webers though. They also are great for extreme weather as they don't know rain, wind or cold.

Originally posted by Joe S.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alberto G:
Do want the ceramic for mainly smoking or just in general?
I'm opposite. I'm itching for a wsm. I have otg and love it and a ceramic. I love the ceramic also but lately my kettle has been getting all the work. I been smoking on the kettle also. Come winter though all the smoking will be done on the ceramic. My food seems more smokey tasting off the webers than the ceramic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I want one for both grilling/smoking. Just to add to my arsenal of weber kettles and wsm's.

Sounds like Weber is not interested in venturing into that market. So it's down to the BGE and Primo. I'm leaning towards the latter.

I personally was introduced to the world of charcoal grilling and smoking when I purchased a Primo Oval XL. The next thing I know, what started out as wanting to own something portable in the form of 2 smokey joe's so I could use them at work, has turned into me now owning 12 Webers along with two Q's. I'm getting in trouble from the wife now...

I too love my ceramic cooker, but I also know that they're not something I can easily transport and lug around. So even though I can put out great food on it, I will be using my WSM 18 at the upcoming competition in Langley BC.

I agree though that ceramics are a virtual unknown still especially up in Canada. Our local Costco's received Vision Kamados late July and my friends who work there told me that they'll eventually price drop them from $549 down to $449 or even $400 as they still have 12 in stock. She thinks they've only sold 1. That said, most people that walk by this ceramic see an over priced charcoal BBQ of which they don't know how to use. For those of us in the know however, we see something that in an equivalent of a large BGE, there is a $700-800 savings.

Albert, I agree with what has been said here. Especially where Glenn said they don't know extreme weather changes. There is one other option. You could get a Big Steel Keg for under $400. Personally if I still had a ceramic it would only get used for baking. My steel weber does that now. You could also keep your eyes open for a used BGE as sort of a get to know.

That is true about using them in all sorts of weather. I've smoked briskets and butts with snow falling without any noticeable change in amounts of lump used. That said...because lump costs so much up here and briquettes a bit cheaper, using the WSM I can see will save me some dollars and still turn out great food.

Originally posted by Shaun R:
Albert, I agree with what has been said here. Especially where Glenn said they don't know extreme weather changes. There is one other option. You could get a Big Steel Keg for under $400. Personally if I still had a ceramic it would only get used for baking. My steel weber does that now. You could also keep your eyes open for a used BGE as sort of a get to know.

Where have you seen a BSK for that cheap, all the ones I see are in the 700.00 range

Well it happened. Costco in Canada just priced dropped their Vision Kamados to $399. Down $150 and since the price drop last Tuesday, my local store has only sold 2. Not sure of the market in the US but for sure if Weber sold ceramics in Canada, few people would buy them. Especially if in the price range that Primos, BGEs etc are at.

Back