cedar planks

Todd Randall

TVWBB Pro
Hi All,

I searched and read a few posts. Didn't really find the info I was looking for. Got a package of these from a brother-in-law for xmas. I have no experience using cedar.

Here's the thing, neither my wife or I are big fish eaters / cookers. Can I / should I cut up the planks (these are think ones, probably 3/4 to 1 inch thinkness) into chunks and use in the WSM for smokewood?

If yes, it seems most people believe it is pretty strong smoke wood, so what other types of wood might you combine it with (I have cherry, apple, silver maple, white birch and hickory on hand, will have oak soon), and outside of fish, what kinds of meat would you smoke using cedar?

Thanks,
Todd

Personally I wouldn't use any resinous wood like cedar or pine in my smoker. I've used wild cherry with good results and hickory with not so good results. The hickory was a little too strong tasting. IMO I'd save the planks for grilling. I've heard that alder works well although I haven't tried it yet. My brother used oak to smoke a trout and that was very good. Hope that helps.

Mike

Ditto Mike. Use the ceder planks for grilling. I like to soak mine before using. I'll set mine in the sink weighted down with a Coke can (Soda or Pop for you guys up north) in the sink for an hour or so. I have never been overwhelmed by the cedar, but then again I have only used them for salmon.

Cedar planks aren't just for fish. Picked up a book while at the American Royal - The Plank Grilling Cookbook (Sasquatch Books). Covers plank grilling from poultry to breads and desserts. Just wish I had more time right now to try some of the recipes.

One of my favorite plank recipes is a cedar smoked pork loin with pineapple/jalapeno salsa.
I haven't tried it on a WSM yet, but it is a breeze on a Weber Kettle. You can find the recipe in Weber's Big Book of Grilling.

BP

Anyone that has worked with cedar understands that using the planks for smoke is not a bad idea, it is a dangerous idea. People have poisoned by just having to cut all day as part of the their job.

Using it for smoke can cause your throat to close up, swelling of your eys and other problems.

Softwoods like cedar and fir should never be used for smoke.

Jim

Jim,

Is that because of the saps and resins in those types of woods? As they burn they are actually toxic fumes type of thing?

Thanks for responding,
Todd

Todd
Exactly, when you are planking salmon the heat brings the oil in the wood to surface and it does effect flavor but when you burn it for smoke the stuff is toxic. You don't want family and guests cover in red bloches and having trouble breathing.

Jim

I seem to have better tasting food using maple and alder planks. Maple seems to last longer being a much harder wood than cedar and even alder.

I'm not sure why cedar planks got used for cooking when it can be toxic for some people.

Aloha,

Greg

Greg
Good question kinda like who were the first people to try mushrooms or blowfish, or I guess who was the second person try blowfish considering the first died.
Have a Great New Years!

Jim

Back