Caveman Cooked Aged Ribeye's

Terrific looking fire meat Thor!
1063259-title_thor.jpg

It's been too long since I've went all caveman.
Even sirloins are super cooked this way.
I've read that Ike liked his steaks cooked "dirty" too.

Bill, you're an absolute treasure here! Thanks for posting so many amazing cooks and for your many subtle insights. Inspirational, Sir, inspirational. May I ask this (with due respect): Is there a substantial difference b/t "caveman" (i.e. steaks cooked in the hot coals) and "chimney" (i.e. steaks cooked on a grate perched on top of a raging chimney full of coals)? Seems both would get seriously hot for searing, but the chimney might avoid some possible soot issues with steaks directly in the coals. But I confess that I really don't know - which is why I'm asking. Would be grateful for your candor, Bill. And thank you sincerely for your fantastic posts, Bill. You may not realize how enjoyable they are for us out here and how much you inspire us to try new and adventurous things. Thanks!

Gorgeous looking food, Bill. Thanks for sharing the process. I love the details of seasoning, temps, times, and step-by-step prep! Thank you!

Bill, you're an absolute treasure here! Thanks for posting so many amazing cooks and for your many subtle insights. Inspirational, Sir, inspirational. May I ask this (with due respect): Is there a substantial difference b/t "caveman" (i.e. steaks cooked in the hot coals) and "chimney" (i.e. steaks cooked on a grate perched on top of a raging chimney full of coals)? Seems both would get seriously hot for searing, but the chimney might avoid some possible soot issues with steaks directly in the coals. But I confess that I really don't know - which is why I'm asking. Would be grateful for your candor, Bill. And thank you sincerely for your fantastic posts, Bill. You may not realize how enjoyable they are for us out here and how much you inspire us to try new and adventurous things. Thanks!

Mickey I use both methods, both work very well but I find it easier to do on the OTG with Lump and never had a problem with any debris. When you pick the steak up with tongs you just turn it sideways and tap on the edge of the grill and any little coals pop right off. Honestly never had many stick

Mickey I use both methods, both work very well but I find it easier to do on the OTG with Lump and never had a problem with any debris. When you pick the steak up with tongs you just turn it sideways and tap on the edge of the grill and any little coals pop right off. Honestly never had many stick

Bill, thanks for that clarification. It will sound dumb, but the key thing I had overlooked was "lump charcoal" which probably burns cleaner and with less ash/soot than briquets. I have a lot of Kingsford Blue, but zero lump right now. I will definitely be getting some this weekend though. Thanks, Bill.

Bill, thanks for that clarification. It will sound dumb, but the key thing I had overlooked was "lump charcoal" which probably burns cleaner and with less ash/soot than briquets. I have a lot of Kingsford Blue, but zero lump right now. I will definitely be getting some this weekend though. Thanks, Bill.

Yea, Mickey maybe I should have said something before but you can only do this with Lump or actual hardwood. Do not do it with charcoal, even the cleanest has to many impurities to put directly on meat

Nicely done Bill. MY wife loves a lot of char on her steak but she also loves it very very rare (A difficult combo to achieve). I am always searching for techniques to give me a chance to hit that very small bullseye. I have never tried the AB technique because I thought it would get the steaks all 'ashy'. You have proved me wrong though and I am now inspired to try it. Great post!

Regards,

John

Yea, Mickey maybe I should have said something before but you can only do this with Lump or actual hardwood. Do not do it with charcoal, even the cleanest has to many impurities to put directly on meat

Bill, most folks on this forum are smart enough to know about using lump and not briquets for Caveman Steaks, but 'ol Mickey, well, let's just say I learned something here. :) I got some lump charcoal today and was excited to try this, but my Bride nixed it. Said something about "nitrites" (had to ask her to repeat it 3 times). Apparently, this is NOT the nitrates they put in corned beef to make it look red. Anyway, this is what can happen when you marry a girl who is WAY smarter than you are... It's also why I enjoy drinking beer. :) But it appears there will be no Caveman's for me until she goes out of town for a few days... Tonight, I'm making pork tenderloin - but I don't think it's worth trying to make a Caveman Pork Tenderloin. Seriously, thanks again for your fantastic posts, Bill, and for your patience and candor with folks like me who just want to pick up about 1/10 of what you guys know about this stuff. Hope you enjoy a great evening, Sir! -Mickey

Bill

Haven't been here in a while but all Cavemen would be jealous of your cooking skills and all the Cavewomen would be at you cave.;)

Bill, most folks on this forum are smart enough to know about using lump and not briquets for Caveman Steaks, but 'ol Mickey, well, let's just say I learned something here. :) I got some lump charcoal today and was excited to try this, but my Bride nixed it. Said something about "nitrites" (had to ask her to repeat it 3 times). Apparently, this is NOT the nitrates they put in corned beef to make it look red. Anyway, this is what can happen when you marry a girl who is WAY smarter than you are... It's also why I enjoy drinking beer. :) But it appears there will be no Caveman's for me until she goes out of town for a few days... Tonight, I'm making pork tenderloin - but I don't think it's worth trying to make a Caveman Pork Tenderloin. Seriously, thanks again for your fantastic posts, Bill, and for your patience and candor with folks like me who just want to pick up about 1/10 of what you guys know about this stuff. Hope you enjoy a great evening, Sir! -Mickey

Hey Mickey!

Does your wife like Alton Brown? If so, have her watch this:http://altonbrown.com/steak-on-coals

Hey Mickey!

Does your wife like Alton Brown? If so, have her watch this:http://altonbrown.com/steak-on-coals

Thanks for that link, Mary! Odds are strongly against her ever watching that, but I definitely will - Alton can be a bit quirky, but he's always interesting. The dilemma here, at least with the "nitrites" issue is that my wife is very smart and scientific, but I'm neither of those. When she and her friends throw around those $10.00 words, I usually only understand about $6.50 of them (give or take). Frankly, I think they sometimes just over-complicate things. Besides, I'm pretty sure that one "Caveman Steak" isn't going to kill anybody and I'm very intrigued to try it after seeing Bill's awesome post. Fortunately we got it clarified about using lump charcoal and NOT using briquets, so it makes more sense now - I just couldn't see how a steak tossed into briquets would be anything but covered with ash and soot. But I got some lump today so I'm excited about trying a Caveman Steak. Thanks again for your helpful link - I truly enjoy Alton's stuff. Thanks, Mary.

Back