Catfish

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I learned something last night. Slapping something on my Genesis or my Wolf is "EZPZ". Straightforward. Turn on the flames, let it heat and stabilize, set flame to temps I want, let stabilize throw food on it, cook a bit and done. Ahhh, but this pellet thing............it's a whole "nother world.
Last night got a nice catfish fillet out of the freezer. While thawing, put the Pellet Pro out and got it up to a set of 390. Was holding great BTW between 380 and 400. Stuck my seasoned fillet on the bottom grate and let 'er go. Short time later dropped it to 350.
Fish tasted great, BUT I over cooked it. So texture was "off". A little "tough"
I guess the things I have to allow for is these things are pretty "fast". I guess that fan pushing air around speeds it up? The visual and sensual cues (look and smell) are way different than straight up "grilling" on a gas grill. So while I am really enjoying this new to me way of cooking, it's not without some "challenges".
This weekend I have family coming by. I bought a brisket flat. It's about 6.5#. I would like to keep things as simple as possible. So perhaps some tips. I will likely through some back ribs on as well. Thinking maybe the brisket should not go on bottom? Maybe middle, ribs on bottom? No practice run here. It will be "the show" Anyway as promised the catfish result
1662036981457.jpeg

Hi Larry. I'll only comment on the temp but you may already be doing this. If you're cooking something where a certain temp range is important you might consider using a third party thermo on the grate. My experience with some pellet smokers is that their built-in thermometers don't always report actual temps. I don't know if it's that their refresh rate is slower or something else but I prefer a third party unit.

Hi Larry. I'll only comment on the temp but you may already be doing this. If you're cooking something where a certain temp range is important you might consider using a third party thermo on the grate. My experience with some pellet smokers is that their built-in thermometers don't always report actual temps. I don't know if it's that their refresh rate is slower or something else but I prefer a third party unit.
The thing is I don't know enough about this type of cooking to even know what temps are important or even how to quite interpret the results. It's all new to me. I'm a total novice to this kind of cooking. So it's all "learning curve".

Well that one in the link is $20 more Jon. I did not find the one that uses WIFI.
Its 20 dollars more because it has the receiver I had bought the 829 myself not used it yet will this weekend. I had a Maverick still have but getting a bit long in the tooth. For me that is the only setup I can live with since football season is here and I am in my media room with the receiver on the coffee table so I can monitor the temp at the pit outside.

If you don't care about that then you save the 20 bucks.

Larry,

A pellet cooker is basically an outdoor convention oven, so yeah, it will cook a bit quicker. You're also getting a lot of radiant heat off of that drip pan, you'll have to adjust the learning curve for that. I do most of my cooking on the top grate, and if I want indirect, I put a foil or stainless pan under it. I use the bottom for more browning or grilling. Hope this helps.

Charlie

Yep, all good tips. Thanks. The brisket may just have to go in the freezer though. Family issues :cautious:

Larry if you did not order the first one you should go with the 829 cause in your next of the woods gonna be cold out there soon. Sit in your recliner if you have one nice and toasty no need to go outside on a cook to check the temps. Put the receiver beside you on a table pour yourself a nice glass of Cab and relax. :)

I keep reading (as I do not own one) that lots people cook the majority of there food on the upper self,as better air flow and reduced radiant heat.
But that catfish makes me hungry Larry.
Thanks for the idea for dinner

Back