Catering question - Pulled Pork for 50

Stuart S

TVWBB Pro
The non-profit I volunteer with is having their annual BBQ on Sunday and instead of hiring a company to roast a whole pig for an outrageous amount of money, I've decided to do pulled pork on my WSM to reduce costs (I'm the treasurer :) )

Trying to get an idea of how much pork I need per person. We're serving sides so the sandwiches don't need to huge, but I don't want to skimp either. Looking through other posts I have an idea, but most people don't update after they ask questions and do the cook so I'm looking for feedback from others that have pulledone of these things off.

I did 3 boston butts for a 30 person crowd a few months ago. I had a bit left over that I didn't need.

I would think you should cook 5 7-8lb boston butts to be safe. Somewhere between 35 and 40 pounds of total meat.

When I got married a couple of months ago, I did pulled pork for the rehearsal dinner. We had about 35 guests. I smoked four 6 lb butts. Several people got second helpings, and I'd say there was about half a butt left.

If you have 40 lbs of uncooked pork butt, and figure 60% yield (most say 60-65%), then that leaves you with 24 lbs or 384 ounces of cooked meat. Figure 4 oz per sandwich, and that gives you 96 sandwich size servings of cooked meat.

35# of raw weight will give you around 18-19# cooked, even at 3 servings per pound for 50 people you're looking at a little under 17#
We normally figure 4 ounce servings and cook and extra 10% just to be sure and usually have leftovers

A half pound of meat for each guest will be plenty if you're serving sides. No doubt about it. Five 7-8 lb. butts oughta do it.

35# of raw weight will give you around 18-19# cooked, even at 3 servings per pound for 50 people you're looking at a little under 17#
We normally figure 4 ounce servings and cook and extra 10% just to be sure and usually have leftovers

Spot on. We do the same.

Well I never would have believed if I hadn't done it myself...but I just shoehorned 48lbs of pork shoulder into an 18.5 WSM :wsm: :rolleyes:

Turns out we have more people coming than we thought so I was asked to prep enough for 75 sandwiches. I added 10% to that number and it worked out to 45 pounds.

"I just shoehorned 48lbs of pork shoulder into an 18.5 WSM :wsm: :rolleyes: "

Wow! That's a LOT of pork. I am really interested in the outcome (I have HIGH hopes for a good cook for you, Stuart!).

Dale53

Thanks!

The good news is that I have lots of time on this cook since the BBQ isn't until Sunday :)

Pit is running steady at 225 with the BBQ Guru on it and the biggest butt on the top is reading 86 on the Maverick so I'm going to get some sleep. I'll post an update in the morning.

Sounds like you already got yours, but at that weight range you can get a case+ from Costco for a significant discount (did my cousin's wedding, a case <?? 39-45# ??> each of pulled pork & shredded chuck). I gave away a bunch & also kept a bunch! There were a lot of sides & I made up a ton of #5 sauce plus whatever else.

It was fun (also took my dirt bike, the hosts own the property that also is where I was introduced to 'desert riding'----Cherry Creek, UT, near Sand Mountain etc

Well I almost ran out of fuel with the butts sitting at 153 a few hours ago, first time fo everything. Took the cooker apart and refilled the ring then bumped the temp up to 250 for the last few hours. 15 hours in so far and I'm thinking about foiling for the rest of the cook.

Well I almost ran out of fuel with the butts sitting at 153 a few hours ago, first time fo everything. Took the cooker apart and refilled the ring then bumped the temp up to 250 for the last few hours. 15 hours in so far and I'm thinking about foiling for the rest of the cook.

I'm not surprised you're going through a lot of fuel. That much meat is quite a thermal load to pull. Sounds like you're back on track. Hope it turns out great.

Sounds like you already got yours, but at that weight range you can get a case+ from Costco for a significant discount

Costco doesn't sell pork butts in Canada :(

I got it at $1.99/lb for boneless skinless...so I'm not complaining!

I'm not surprised you're going through a lot of fuel. That much meat is quite a thermal load to pull. Sounds like you're back on track. Hope it turns out great.

Makes total sense, but I've cooked a full packer and a full bone in shoulder with the ham on it for 18 hours and had fuel left over so I was a bit surprised.

I have to admit, even though the butts are shrinking its still a heck of allot o meat for an 18.5.

So, the butts were pulled at 180 degrees at 3:30 this afternoon, when they were probe tender. I'm really glad I didn't try to time this cook for the butts to come off tomorrow morning before the BBQ because they took a full 17 hours to cook and I wasn't expecting that

Yield was 26 pounds trimmed and pulled. I didn't remove any of the fat cap from them before cooking them so I'm right in line with 60% yield after cleaning them up while pulling, which I'm happy with. I was asked to prep enough for 75 sandwiches so I'll have a little extra if I go with just over 4oz per sandwich.

Here's the loaded top grate:
null-10.jpg

And you can see the other two in the basement:
null-11.jpg

Moral of the story; you can cook 48lbs of PP in an 18.5 WSM.

You probably shouldn't though ;)

Well I never would have believed if I hadn't done it myself...but I just shoehorned 48lbs of pork shoulder into an 18.5 WSM :wsm: :rolleyes:
I was asked to prep enough for 75

Heres my thread on a similar situation. :)
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?40887-65-pounds-of-pork-on-the-WSM

I really overlooked, but I'd rather toss some in the freezer than run out. There were more sides than expected and less mouths to fill than expected. It was a fun cook and one I'm not sure I'll get the chance to do again. Yes, I also went through more charcoal than normal. lol

Heres my thread on a similar situation. :)
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?40887-65-pounds-of-pork-on-the-WSM

I really overlooked, but I'd rather toss some in the freezer than run out. There were more sides than expected and less mouths to fill than expected. It was a fun cook and one I'm not sure I'll get the chance to do again. Yes, I also went through more charcoal than normal. lol

Oh yeah, in looking at the 22.5 at the store when I went to get some bear claws today the 5 butts would have fit on one no problem.

I'll never, ever, try to get that much meat on my 18.5" again though.

Back