Cast iron problems

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
So I have a good variety of cast iron pans. A couple of them likely 100 yo or more (one having been my grandma's). I can cook things VERY well in them. I can fry eggs with little to no sticking at all, saute' and so on. BUT, I see people on YouTube making scrambled eggs in both cast iron and carbon steel. There is my Achilles heel. Even when I use high quality "non-stick" pans and PLENTY of butter I might as well be cooking gorilla glue on my pans. WTH can't I get scrambled eggs to cook easily and with no sticking?! I have tried low heat, high heat and everything in between. I have some of the same issue if I try to make an omelet as well.
Also on a couple of my pans I want to completely nuke off the seasoning and start from scratch. Looking for the best way to do that

In regards to no-stick, those ads use brand new pans and yes, no lubricant required. Not till after several months use anyways. It wears off, regardless of how careful you are (plastic or wood tools don't matter).

I just watched an excellent movie about Teflon. Maybe you'll reconsider using it after watching

Some people put cast iron pan on a really hot for a bit. Last pan I stripped I sprayed it with EZ off, put it into a trash bag, waitEd 24 hours, washed pan thoroughly. Be careful with this method as, if done right, will result in bare cast iron. Bare cast iron will rust in a heartbeat. I have to get oven ready, wash/dry pan and as fast as I can get a layer of oil on it. Then you can remove the excess and season it in the oven. I usually season a stripped pan 3 times. When seasoning a cast iron pan, less is better. There are some good how to videos on the Lodge web site.

One thing to check out before stripping, if you use cooking spray on non stick or cast iron pans, it can build up. I was about to toss a 12 Cuisinart non stick triply pan when I read about the build up. I used bar keepers friend and a nylon scrubber. Took 3 times, but it looked and cooked like new....still have it and use it.

and yes, you can use soap on seasoned cast iron.

Hope this helps.

We cook almost exclusively with CI or carbon steel fry pans, except for scrambled eggs. I have a couple of non stick pans I use for that and as Len said they work for awhile then eggs start sticking to them. I tried butter also with not very good results. I tried Pam and that works really well. Haven't had any issues for a couple of years using the Pam or a similar product. Making omelets I can now just slide them out of the pan.

I haven't had to deseason any CI in a long time as I am very careful cleaning them and keeping them seasoned. The last time I did one I used a nylon scrubbing pad and wet sand to get the seasoning off, worked well but still a lot of work. A friend of mine uses a gallon of cheap tomato juice and fills the pan up and lets it simmer for an hour or so and he swears by it. Haven't tried that one though.

I must be one lucky guy, I have nonstick pans that I’ve had more than ten years with no signs of failure. Never super high heat EVER! No steel utensils (well, carefully now and then) carefully wash and dry pans and store properly.
It seems to me that the biggest thing people do wrong with any nonstick pan is think they can go hotter than blazes with it, you simply cannot do that! That’s when it will out gas and cause toxicity problems, and just don’t scratch it! Scratch it, pitch it!

I must be one lucky guy, I have nonstick pans that I’ve had more than ten years with no signs of failure. Never super high heat EVER! No steel utensils (well, carefully now and then) carefully wash and dry pans and store properly.
It seems to me that the biggest thing people do wrong with any nonstick pan is think they can go hotter than blazes with it, you simply cannot do that! That’s when it will out gas and cause toxicity problems, and just don’t scratch it! Scratch it, pitch it!
I'm confused. Are you still talking about a cast iron pan?
I am very careful with my nonstick pans but no matter what even the very expensive ones I bought (supposedly with lifetime warranty) (AllClad) the coating does not last well. I never use them dry, always no higher than moderate heat as I am very consious of off gassing. There are only 2 things that seem to always stick for me (no matter if cast iron or nonstick) and that is bacon and scrambled eggs.
Thing is it's no worse in cast iron.
Yes Doug cast iron I was simply comparing my experiences with both on my problem child of scrambled eggs

Questionm

When you put your oil, butter, etc. in the pan, do you let it get got? Eggs will stick in CI if the oils not hot.

Knock on wood. My Circulons are doing ok after 3 yrs.
Med high heat to get them started ( hot pan, cold oil, food never sticks ) is an old saying.
Size the pan to the burner. Once my pan is hot I add a T butter in the middle, and when that foams pour the scramble right on top of that.
It forces the butter to the edges. When I see curds forming, I turn the heat down to M low and start stirring with a silicone spatula.
When it starts to look almost ready, turn off the heat and move the pan and let the residual heat finish.

The above is pretty much what I do regardless of type of pan. The problem with the technique in cast iron is its inability to react with any quickness to the lowering of the heat once the edges have set. Especially true of heavier post-1950s CI pans.

All-Clad and Calphalon are holding up just fine for me, I can shake an omelette loose just when I want it.
Jacques Pèpin would not approve of mine (too much color) but, it’s how my dad did them and it’s just the way I do them. Yes, butter IS involved but it’s as much for flavor and color as anything.9BAFE82B-6589-42C3-AC85-394782FEE2EE.jpeg

Questionm

When you put your oil, butter, etc. in the pan, do you let it get got? Eggs will stick in CI if the oils not hot.
I have tried the hot pan cold fat trick. Works in my carbon steel WOK but then I don't cook eggs in it. But nothing works in my nonstick or CI pans and mind you all this is ONLY with scrambled eggs. I can cook over easy eggs and so on no issue. Even omelets no issue. Only scrambled eggs. Drives me nuts

I wish I had a good answer as I have this happen too, my answer was picking up a Blackstone during a Weber search, I cannot get anything to stick to that

Ahh it's an outside thing. Yeah perhaps they're nice to have BUT I ain't goin outside on a the mornings here between November and April in my shorts and TShirt to fix up bacon and eggs LOL. I might freeze to the deck. Hell I have a photo of my kid and grandson putting up snowmen in May! So not a good solution LOL

Lmao! I grew up in Colorado so I understand. I live in Maryland now and people constantly badger me for wearing a T-Shirt and shorts year round.

Lmao! I grew up in Colorado so I understand. I live in Maryland now and people constantly badger me for wearing a T-Shirt and shorts year round.
Yeah I am regularly seen outside clearing snow and such in shorts and light jacket. I get some weird looks. I just don't enjoy the cooking activity outdoors when the weather is bad though. However, if the wind is not terrible and temps are reasonable (above 10) and no precipitation I am out there on the deck with my grills and yes you'll see me in shorts and T-Shirt LOL. Yeah, I am weird like that

Back