Cast iron pan question...

I use one of these on all my cast iron: http://www.cmscrubber.com/
It's a little pricey, but it works great. It'll last forever.

After using the pan, let it cool enough to handle, then run it under hot water and scrub with the CM scrubber....it removes any hard bits with ease, and doesn't remove the seasoning. Light pressure is all that's needed.
Then I towel dry the pan, heat it on the stove over low heat for a few minutes to dry completely, oil it very lightly (I use Crisco shortening), heat for another few minutes, then wipe dry completley with paper towels. Oil can go rancid over time, so be sure to really rub it dry.

If you need to reseason your pan, I use this method:

Thouroughly wash and clean the pan with hot soapy water. This should be the last time your pan sees dish soap!

Dry completely and place in a 250 degree oven to dry for at least 20 minutes.
Raise temperature of oven in increments, to 500 degrees, and heat for 1 hour. This will help darken the piece and "even" out any splotches.
Carefully remove piece, apply oil (again, I use Crisco shortening), then wipe dry with paper towels...then wipe again...and if you're unsure, wipe again....you want a VERY thin coating of oil.
Place upside down in 500 degree oven for one hour. Every 15-20 minutes, check and wipe the piece down if needed with paper towels to ensure there is no beaded up oil, which will cause sticky spots and streaks. If you wiped down properly after applying the oil, this shouldn't be a problem, but check to make sure.
Turn off oven and let pan cool with the oven. Repeat seasoning again, if desired (omiting the washing with soap).
For second or more rounds of seasoning, always start the oven low and raise the tempurture in increments to avoid warping or cracking the piece.

I normally like to season twice....the best method to maintain seasoning is regular use and proper cleaning. Avoid cleaning with soap, and avoid cooking acidic foods until the seasoning is well established.

As someone else mentioned, enameled cast iron is great for cooking acidic foods in, but unfortunately, most (affordable) enameled cast iron these days (including Lodge) is made in China....and I really question the use of safe and quality materials associated with Chinese made cast iron, but that's just me.

Last edited:
I've recently got an assortment.... 8", 10", & 12" lodge logic skillets. I started saving the paper towels I was using to re-season the pans in a 1 gallon ziplock bag to use when starting the chimney. This is what I use anyway so why not? :)

I've only used my pans a few times.....

1) cast iron potatoes
2) 4 burgers
3) 1# bacon - finished in the oven (worked great)
4 & 5) burger for lunch & dinner today

To clean I've simmered a little hot water in & hit it with a plastic bristle scrub brush. Not really doing it on some of the stuff but I'm still new at this - I think the last time I had a dutch oven (my last CI piece) was over a decade ago... 15 years since I remember using it.

I found this thread wondering about cleaning, and also oil types. I'm using peanut oil since I have a gallon here from a few years ago.

I use one of these on all my cast iron: http://www.cmscrubber.com/
It's a little pricey, but it works great. It'll last forever.
Tim, i'm still "on the fence" about buying this thing... I KNOW i will... it's just ....

THAT'S IT!
I'M BUYING IT TONIGHT!!!

edit: Done! "You sent a payment of $22.93 USD to Knapp Made Products Inc"

Last edited:
(I ordered one of the cm scrubbers today). I also ordered the Lodge cast iron cookbook, a le crusette silicon handle...

Last edited:
I bought the CM Srubber that Tim mentioned and supplied a link to. I don't use soap. I just let it cool enough to where I can handle it and use the scrubber and rinse and wipe with a paper towel and place another thin layer of Crisco before storing. The scrubber works great. I highly recommend it.

Hope you all like the scrubber, I really like mine.

One of the downfalls of seasoning cast iron in the oven is, of course, the smell.....just ask my wife....she reminds me everytime she comes home and the house smells like burnt oil.

Soooooo......tried something new (for me) yesterday.
The house didn't smell, the wife was happy, and the cast iron turned out great:

426531_4972658071546_740306921_n_zpse1393563.jpg
[/IMG]

While my pan is still super hot I dump a little clean hot water in there. It pops and hisses. I'll use a plastic spatula to scrape any crusties off. After I eat and the pan cools another quick scrape with the spatula, dump the water, and wipe it down with paper towels. I'll then turn the heat on very low to warm the iron and remove any moisture, give it a light, fast coat with oil and call it good. So far it has been working for me.

~Mike~
This is what I do also.

I season all my cast iron on the grill. It doesn't smoke up the kitchen and I have the unfounded, superstitious belief that the wood smoke from the grill helps the seasoning process. After all, the original users of cast iron seasoned over a wood fire, so why shouldn't I?

Bill

Back