Cast iron pan question...

Bill S.

TVWBB Pro
Didn't know what forum to throw this one in....But here I am. I have a cast iron pan that was unseasoned. So I seasoned it up and have been using it quite regularly for a year or so. Recently the seasoning has started to flake off. Could soaking the pan in hot soapy water caused this? I've been quite busy lately and it been pretty much eat and run then do the dishes later.

Do not soak that pan in Soapy water. Iron is a porous metal, It will take on that soap. When you season the Pan, it gets the oils into those same pores. by soaking it, you are undoing all of that.

Agreed. Many people don't wash their cast iron skillets. They say (I'm not necessarily a believer) that all you need to do is wipe it with a paper towel.

Myself, I usually give them a very, very, quick wash when it's needed.

Scour it with some steel wool,rinse it, and then rub it all over with vegetble oil... then put it upside down (cookie sheet below it to catch any oil drippings) in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes. Works like a charm for me.

I'm in the group that just wipes it down with a paper towel after I've cooked in it. Seems to work pretty well for me.

Bill

I was too...But lately it was getting so somethings wouldn't wipe, most often it was burgers that would leave hard to remove stuff......I'll just steel wool it and re-season it no biggie.

I just wipe mine out with a paper towel and its usually all thats needed. I also have a weird scour pad that my wife got yrs ago I can use on anything that leaves a residue and then wipe off with towel. It works pretty well.

My mother-in-law washed and scoured and threw in the dishwasher my brother-in-laws that he had seasoned for yrs. She was visiting and cleaned up for him while they were at work.....he was sick...

Last edited:
While my pan is still super hot I dump a little clean hot water in there. It pops and hisses. I'll use a plastic spatula to scrape any crusties off. After I eat and the pan cools another quick scrape with the spatula, dump the water, and wipe it down with paper towels. I'll then turn the heat on very low to warm the iron and remove any moisture, give it a light, fast coat with oil and call it good. So far it has been working for me.

~Mike~

If you pour very cold liquid into a hot pan, there is a chance that you destroy it. Some of the metal can separate from the rest of the pan and leave a crater. Been there, done that. Apart from the danger of having hot iron flying around, the pan will be more difficult to use afterwards. Cold water is OK, but not in a very hot pan. Wait until it cools down a bit.

Bill,

Have you been cooking acidic foods (tomato - vinegar based) in the skillet? Some believe the acid will remove the seasoning. I use a porcelain finished cast iron dutch oven if I'm making chili or spagetti sauce. But I've never seen the seasoning flake off non porcelain iron. Guess it's possible if you use highly concentrated dish soap and let it set for extended periods of time.

If I've got grungy bits of crud stuck to the bottom I dump as much oil as I can get out of the iron then wipe out the remaining oil with paper towels. Making sure the skillet is still warm I add hot water out of the faucet and let it soak awhile then scrape out with a non metal utensil or use a scotch brite pad. Then dry with paper towels and set on a stove burner to make sure the water is evaporated and to open up the pores in the iron. I then pour a teaspoon/tablespoon (depending on iron size) of canola oil into the iron and wipe out till the towel is oil soaked. Then use more paper towels to continue to wipe until most all oil is removed. When finished your iron should have a dull sheen.

Cast iron can be a bit more difficult to take of but the benefits outweigh the extra maintenance. One good way to set the seasoning is to occasionally use your iron to deep fry fish, chicken, pork chops, etc. at an oil temperature of 350-375 degrees

Last edited:
Most of my pans...I let cool and if its something g like scrambled eggs...soak in hot water for a bit then use the lodge scrub brush they sell...works like a harm...definately no soap...

Also like Geir says above...high heat to cold or even the opposite could be an issue! I have a lodge griddle that my mother in law tried to heat up to quick and put a crack right down the middle...20 years and I still use it every week but serves as a reminder!

I was too...But lately it was getting so somethings wouldn't wipe, most often it was burgers that would leave hard to remove stuff......I'll just steel wool it and re-season it no biggie.

When that happens I boil water in the pan. It has the same effect as deglazing a pan to make gravy. Usually, the stuck-on bits release right away. Then I dump the water, dry the pan, and add a thin coat of oil.

Bill

I use cast iron skillets in my performer quite often and have one 8 inch pan that is over 75 years old. The "Patina" finish, is as smooth as a glass table top. I take care of mine by putting a half glass tepid water in the pan while very hot. It more or less self cleans. Afterwards I use a small amount of liquid soap to lightly wash the pan, rinse and put it in the oven on warm to dry it and wipe it with a small light coat of vegetable oil before putting up for the next use. It works great. Bob B

Really like the way you can brown a crust on foods with CI but we have a glass top range and I'm scared to death to put CI in fear I either scratch it or crack it. That leaves only the oven or the grill to use it on. Anybody use CI on smooth top ranges?

Really like the way you can brown a crust on foods with CI but we have a glass top range and I'm scared to death to put CI in fear I either scratch it or crack it. That leaves only the oven or the grill to use it on. Anybody use CI on smooth top ranges?

I have many time and have yet to scratch the surface. Just make sure the pan and stove is clean before you start and free from any grit. I brown beef filets all the time on the stove as well as cook bacon and the like. With a brand new dual convection oven I was leery too but I`m OCD about keeping the surfaces clean...

Well ...a good seasoned pan after cooking burgers will need a scrubbing because of the hard bits but after I do that I put it on the burner to dry it and get it hot ,then I rub a little oil (any kind) in it with a paper towel and put it away. I can pull it out right now and fry an egg in it without the egg sticking it's so well seasoned that way.

I cook with CI on my glass top range daily and it works just fine. Keep the range top clean like Mike said. Also lift the CI up to move rather then sliding on the glass.

Back