Cast Iron grates???

Lewis (bbqlew)

Hi all; My signature is way out of date and I haven't yet figured out how to change it. I have a 18.5 WSM and now want to add a kettle for grilling. (I no longer have the OTS listed.) I have $300 marked for it. Question is, should I buy a Performer ($299) or a OTG ($150) and add an after market cast iron grate ($89). Which would be better. If you have experience with iron grate, are they that much better? First thoughts, I might can build a table, but certainly not cast iron anything. Thanks in advance. I really love this forum.

I love my Performer. Anything over 250 goes on it except burgers and they go on the SJ. I have cast iron grates on my gasser and I've cooked a bunch of burgers on it but I think I'd go with the Performer with the gas starter over CI. I love just filling the chimney and hitting the go button. I even use my Performer to just light the chimney when I'm using the WSM or the SJ. It's just that convenient. I wouldn't trade my Performer for anything.

You might also take a look at GrillGrates, an anodized aluminum grate that sits on top of the standard Weber grate.
There are no flare ups with these and they make beautiful grill marks on your food, with no sticking. They dont rust like
some of the cast iron grates are prone to do.

Ok. Just my opinion and no offense to the guys that still use CIG's. Cast iron grates are great if you want wide and well pronounced grill marks. Personally though, I like the Weber grates better. I go for a nice even sear all over the steak. That's why we use charcoal, right? Anyhow, you obviously can still get grill marks with the regular grates, and they're certainly easier to maintain.

Get the Performer with gas charcoal assist if you can. It's taller, sturdier, and simply a lot more convenient than a three legged kettle.

I *love* my CI (cast iron) grates in the gasser! But, not so much in a kettle. It's virtually impossible to take the grates in/out of a kettle without taking them apart. With charcoal - you have to remove the grate every-time to add charcoal. You basically never have to remove them from a gasser. For the simple ease of use, I much prefer the standard Weber hinged grates for the kettle. And with that vote - get the gas assist Performer!

My performer is what got me back into using charcoal with its higher stance and of course the table and did I mention the gas assist. I agree with what Chad said CI are great on a gasser but the flip up grate on the performer is just a plus for adding coals with no hassle and you can still get great grill marks.

Performer, when the nickel plated grate wears out get the stainless steel grate.

Yep. Already did that myself. Since I cook on three different grills I neglected my 22" OTG on the front porch and started getting a little rust. Thankfully, my 26 came with a stainless grate.

One more thing with those flip up grates.
For just indirect, I flip the grate upside down.
It makes a great shoot for adding charcoal and wood.
ry%3D480

I've been doing that for years. I have a stacker ring, and it's nice to flip both of them over.
It makes a shoot to add charcoal and wood without lifting the first layer off.
ry%3D480

I had the ring made at the tin shop for $30.00, added bolts to hold the upper grate and now I can double my capacity when the family comes over.

I've been using the craycort grates since shortly after they released. I can say that I have been very happy with them. I will say that I kept the fold up stock performer grate for easy "reloading" while cooking full birds, or other big hunks of meat.

Funny story, right before Christmas a couple of years ago I was talking with my father and I told him I was sick of people buying me grilling accessories (call me shallow or ungrateful, but I honestly would rather see people donate the money to some charity that they see fit). Low and behold he bought me another craycort grate that year. I felt terrible because I was very vague on giving gift ideas for anything, and I know he really thought he got me something I would be excited about. In my opinion he has done so much for me (he was a fantastic father and still is) that he really shouldn't be spending any considerable amount of money on gifts my way these days. Well I ended up giving that extra grate to a friend that I had traded my old 22.5" OTS for a nice futon. Well my friend didn't feel OK with me just giving him the grate and bought me the griddle and vegetable basket inserts for the craycort. Worked out great.

The best part of the whole deal is my Dad is always anxious to have me cook food on the grill whenever he makes it up to where I'm at.

Sorry about the OT story.

The other reason I like the cast iron grates is the heat they hold. I usually cook stuff with all the heat on one side of the grill. As the cook progresses I'll spin the grate 180 degrees and move the food back over to the nice and hot grates. Grilling is an art IMO. I come on these forums and compile and use ideas that others have posted as a reference as to how I'll cook my food. I've found my way to cook food that tastes great to everyone that I've entertained, at least they say it anyhow. The most important tool in my arsenal is a nice digital thermometer. I've always been a "read the manual guy," and maybe if the food doesn't taste the best ever to me, at least it will be safe to eat.

Back