Caribbean BBQ Chicken

Stuart S

TVWBB Pro
Over the last little while I've been getting my mom to teach me some of the dishes I grew up on, from her native country of Trinidad and Tobago. She's turning 73 this year and doesn't cook much anymore. I remember as kid that she always cooked allot of food, and she always said it was in case someone dropped by...she always wanted to have enough to feed them if they stayed for dinner. Allot of those dishes were "one pot" type meals using cheap ingredients like ox tails and chicken legs & thighs, and her pot was always full. She grew up in a poor family, in a poor country, and I think this was part of it. I know many people can relate from their childhood, and even from the recent struggles many people have gone through. I think this is why I always have friends over, and why I always cook enough to feed a small army!

I don't want to lose these dishes, and the sad reality is that now that she doesn't cook much anymore, I miss the dishes I hated as a child. When my friends were eating hamburgers we were eating curry and we always longed for what we didn't have. Now I'm longing for the memories of my youth...

Anyway, sorry for the long sappy intro! I wanted to share something she taught me last week and the way I used it in my BBQ tonight.

We made a typical Caribbean Green Seasoning, which is used for marinating meat before cooking. While we were making it I couldn't help but think it would be a great base for poultry, pork and even beef. If people want the recipe I'll figure out the quantities and post it up in the recipe section.

Basically it's cilantro, culantro (often served with Vietnamese Pho, a member of the cilantro family, but long stems with different leaves. Also very popular in Latin cooking), parsley, fresh thyme, onions, garlic, green onions, cubanelle peppers, lemon zest & juice, salt and pepper.

Everything gets cut up:
null-27.jpg

Then whizzed in the food processor:
null-26.jpg

Then bottled in mason jars:
null-25.jpg

It will keep for months in the fridge because of the salt and lemon juice.

So for today's cook, I started with a whole chicken cut up with the bones left in. Added some tomato, onions, sambal olek and a healthy tablespoon of green seasoning. Mixed together, then refrigerated for a few hours. The smell coming off this was killer!
null-30.jpg

Reverse seared over sugar maple lump charcoal, then hit with some sweet baby ray's and some brats added to the grill while they glazed:
null-31.jpg

Lookin pretty good while they rest:
null-29.jpg

And served with potato salad and an Asian salad we pick up at Costco:
null-28.jpg

If you made it this far, thanks for hanging in. This meal reminded me so much of when we were kids. The only difference was the reverse sear technique - my mom always cooked the chicken over direct heat on a cheap charcoal grill with no lid so the skin was usually burnt :)

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the story behind that great-looking food. It's amazing how childhood memories of food can have so much personal significance.

I love the story. We grew up very poor. I'm still poor but doing a little better. In my culture the ingridients are the same but cooked differently. I still cook many dishes my mom and dad made and are posted here. You did a great job with your cook. Keep it up...:)

Suck as much knowledge from your Mom as you can!!! My Mom passed away when I was 16 and there is so much stuff I wish I knew from her.

Stuart I would really appreciate knowing more about that Caribbean Green Seasoning. It sounds wonderful. Nice post and nice cook. Thanks!

Stuart I would really appreciate knowing more about that Caribbean Green Seasoning. It sounds wonderful. Nice post and nice cook. Thanks!

Hey Rolf,

Here is the way I made it, you can vary according to taste...

1 bunch cilantro, remove most stems
1 bunch culantro, remove bottom of stems
1 handful flat leaf parsley
2 sprigs fresh thyme, remove woodier stems
1 medium yellow onion
1 head of garlic
1 bunch of green onions
2 medium cubanelle peppers
Zest & juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp each salt and pepper
2 tbsp olive oil

Rough chop and then blend all ingredients except olive oil in food processor. Start with the onions and cubanelles to reduce them in size first. Once chopped to even paste consistency add olive oil slowly to running food processor to emulsify. Transfer to mason jars and refrigerate immediately. I don't add much salt as I often use soya sauce when marinating meat and don't want to have the salt ramp up too much from combining things.

Enjoy!

We're trying a variation of this today. Didn't have all the ingredients but using the general idea. Will see how it goes.

I really think you should post this in the recipe section too. Looks like a winner !

Great post Stuart. BBQ has humble beginnings -- tying to make a tough, cheap cut of meat tasty and tender. Love the childhood story. You had me at oxtail!

Great post, I feel the same as you about not losing that tribal knowledge, I had a great grandmother that I should have cooked with as a child and didn't. I have recreated one dish so far........ Make your mom proud! Good son!

Back