Cardogs salmon 2 ways and Grilled Halibut

Mark Silver

TVWBB Wizard
My neighbor just got back from fishing in Alaska and asked if I would smoke some fish for him and keep some for my effort. He is not a BBQ’er and wanted tips. We invited him and his wife for dinner. I made my BBQ mentor, Jim Minion’s Official Cardogs Salmon recipe 2 ways as an experiment. Hot and fast on cedar planks on the Performer with alder chunks for smoke (and then directly grilled the halibut filets on the Performer), and way 2 was on the Memphis pellet grill over hickory and pecan, low and slow, 215 degrees.
They claimed it to be the best salmon they’ve ever had, preferring the hot and fast one over the low and slow one. The hot and fast one had more smoke flavor and the top of the salmon had a little firmer texture. Both were very good, IMO. This is the only way I ever make salmon, so I preferred the halibut. Sorry, no plated pics, but served with bacon wrapped maple gazed carrots, asparagus and yellow peppers and cucumbers in rice wine vinegar. I also made a cheesecake for dessert.
1627945821649.jpeg
1627945884462.jpeg
1627945924404.jpeg

I did a hot and fast plank salmon a guy bought pre marinated from the Grocery store Thursday night only took 15 to 18 minutes but came out great nice smokey flavor flaked apart very delicate texture.
No pictures to busy feeding our faces. Yours looks excellant and that Halibut perfect.

Back