Canuck Thanksgiving Turkey Magic Time

Stuart S

TVWBB Pro
I made a 15lb turkey for thanksgiving you guys, here are some pictures.

This was after maybe 40 minutes with Maple Leaf Briq's and 2 chunks of Apple Wood.
2013-10-13163918.jpg

And this was after a quick flip in direction, about 15 minutes before pulling off to rest.
2013-10-13175040.jpg

And this was how it got plated with way too much other stuff, which is what Thanksgiving is all about.
2013-10-13191454.jpg

I know the skin looks fantastic, but I'm really, really not a fan of the skin of a turkey cooked on the good ole Weber. The layer just under that great looking colour comes out really rubbery in my opinion. I thought about pulling it off and putting it in the convection oven so that the skin could crisp up, but the 15lb bird cooked in about 2.5 hours so it was too far in temp for me to get it in the oven to make a difference.

The turkey looks great. I love the skin but understand how a weber just does not cook fowl skin unless you use direct.

That is a gorgeous Bird, Happy Thanksgiving Stuart.

Did you do it at high heat without the water pan in, I'm asking as I did a whole Chicken a couple of weeks ago on the WSM at 325 no water pan and the skin was much better.

That is on beautiful looking bird and your plated pic with all of the fixings on it screams Thanksgiving, hope your turned out wonderful!!!

That is a gorgeous Bird, Happy Thanksgiving Stuart.

Did you do it at high heat without the water pan in, I'm asking as I did a whole Chicken a couple of weeks ago on the WSM at 325 no water pan and the skin was much better.

I did that bird on my performer with a full chimney of lit briqs spread into the two charcoal baskets and placed on either side of the bird...the foil is to deflect the closest points from burning the turkey in that area. I think I'm going to try it on the top grate of the WSM next time without the water pan and breast down to crisp up the skin.

Back