Can't get wsm over 300 for chicken

Mike WSM

TVWBB Member
When I first got the wsm in April, it would run over 300 in no time, and I had a hard time keeping temps down. Now, I wanna smoke chicken at 350 or so, but I can't get it over 300 for long. I know I've seasoned the heck out of this thing with a ton of butts, but dang, can't get it hot anymore.

My set up is 18.5". I used a full chimney load of fully lit kbb. I guess i could add more unlit coals in the basket mext time, cause i jsut dumped it in while hot and kept all vents wide open. The basket was empty. Also have dx2 set at 350. Just couldn't get it to temp. Had the damper set wide open also. 10cm fan.

Help?

by basket, are you referring to the charcoal ring? if so, you need coal in there to keep heat going as the ones from the chimney die out. also, go w/an empty water pan. doing those two, it should be a piece of cake to keep your temps above 300 even w/o a blower.

Try propping the door open next time... That should bring up your temps pretty quick.

+1 ^ I have a skewer I use to rest under the lip of the lid to help draw more air thru the bottom therefore adding "fuel to the fire". ...or you could clean all your seasoning off the inside but I don't recommend that. My only other recommendation is to add another vent on top to create more chimney effect (air draw).

Last edited:
I have a big weber chimney and a smaller el cheapo model from the big lot store and when I do chickens I load both of them and light em up....pour all that in.....no water pan. I do not have a ATC , but I get a300 degree fire that lasts long enough to cook 2 big chickens. When I'm done , I choke the fire out and usually have some coals left over for next time.
you might think about using lump too , because its reputed to burn hotter. But I think your problem is not enough fuel.
(my opinion only. I am not an expert):D

You could do it the easy way, use your kettle for chicken. Better skin. Easy to control 300+ temps. Just a thought. Different horses for different courses.

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. I'll try more fuel. It just blows my mind, bc when I first got this thing 5 momths ago, that's all it took to get over 350. Now I need way more fuel I guess.

For chicken remove the water pan not needed. I never use the water pan for any cook, i only use the top grate and add a 2nd grate above the top grate if needed.

I agree. Get rid of the water pan. I love to use the WSM for chicken, especially when I'm making Roadside chicken. No problems at all with flare-ups. It's a great trick.

Thanks for the tips. Used more kbb, and I was able to get temps to 330. Then disassembled the wsm, and put the grate over the charcoal ring to crisp the skin. Wife loved it. Next time ill try no water pan. What wood do u guys use with roadside chicken? I used hickory today, but open to new ideas.

Back