Can't Decide: 18.5 or 22.5 WSM

For your situation, the 18.5" is plenty. I can coil 6 to 8 racks of St. Louis ribs in one cook if need be. I've done a 15lb. brisket (even though I had to "shoehorn" it in between the top grate handles). Once the brisket shrinks a little, it fits fine. I have cooked for 25 people on the 18.5, admittedly in shifts for some of it. If you really need something bigger than the 18.5, get a 24" x 48" offset.

Jeff

Hey JP, I'm up in Asheville so it's good to have another WNC person on here. I have the 22 and feel like I'll never regret having the extra space, but i did it mostly because I wanted to be able to lay ribs flat without cutting them.
check out this Craig's list post. It's just over the TN boarder, but the price is right. http://tricities.craigslist.org/app/4307735614.html $150 for a 22
good luck whatever you do you'll love it and be sure to post pics!

you'll do both before it's over with !!! , I went with the 22.5 first and just last week got the 18.5 , both are great smokers

I have the 18.5" amd love it. Not only does it sip charcoal I have never had a problem with space for meat.

Thanks guys for all your suggestions. I've decided to pull the trigger on the WSM 18.5.
That smoker, along with the Genesis EP-330 grill I'm gonna get, should be plenty of capacity for cooking/smoking more than enough Q for my needs.

JP

JP you should be fine. Including a SJ Mini, I have/had all three sizes. I rarely use my 22 WSM, instead when I need extra space for a brisket or ribs slabs I use a modded kettle or use a SmoKettle.

Last edited:
I pulled the trigger. Bought the Genesis EP-330, 2 propane tanks (filled), the WSM 18.5 and Rapid Fire Chimney Starter.
They'll be assembled and delivered on Friday.
Now I need to hunt down some meat!

JP

I have an 18 and it is perfect for us. For more space 2-18's or an 18 an 14 would be my choice. With two you could do a couple of different temp cooks at the same time or just have additional space when you need it. If cooking for one the 14 is a good size and will be really efficient on fuel.

J

I had a 18.5 for about 4 years, and the last 4 with a 22.5. I often wish I still had my 18.5 as it accomodates most cooks I do, and uses less charcoal, is easier to transport, and burns longer on the fuel in my experience. Love the extra room though on those times I need it...

Back