Cannot get heat to drop

WE have a new 18.5 wsm. I did a high burn yesterday to get the shine off no problem. Today I am trying to do a controlled burn but I can't get the temp below 273deg. that is with all vents closed. I have tried different openings on the top vent with no results. I have no water in the pan and I am using a digital probe. HELP:confused:

Try shutting the bottom vents half way and then use the top vent to control temp. This will help you to learn how your WSM wants to work and with more experience it will become easier. Try some different combinations and see what works best for you. Also, once you have a few cooks under your belt, the WSM will be more seasoned and you will have better temp control over time. That seasoning or "gunk" is part of what makes the WSM so great.

Also, welcome to the forum. It is a very friendly place and people here are very helpful. I know since 3 years ago I got my WSM22 and had never smoked anything before, only used my Weber Performer (kettle) and with the help of all here I have improved my game. We all are still learning and that is part of the fun. Some of the cooks by others here have encouraged me to try things I might not have otherwise. It is a lot of fun. Remember, BBQ is meant to be fun. Even when the results are otherwise, have fun.

Pat's advice is spot on. Should have asked the same thing myself. Pat, I think you type faster than I do.

WE have a new 18.5 wsm. I did a high burn yesterday to get the shine off no problem. Today I am trying to do a controlled burn but I can't get the temp below 273deg. that is with all vents closed. I have tried different openings on the top vent with no results. I have no water in the pan and I am using a digital probe. HELP:confused:

Why are you not using water in the water pan?

Water has multiple purposes. It acts as a heat sink that allows for easier maintaining of lower temps smoker temps with more coal burning. Water wont get over 212 degs. It boils at that temp and remains there. It also provides a moist smoking environment.

Last edited:
Why are you not using water in the water pan?

Water has multiple purposes. It acts as a heat sink that allows for easier maintaining of lower temps smoker temps with more coal burning. Water wont get over 212 degs. It boils at that temp and remains there. It also provides a moist smoking environment.
You really don't need water.
Plus it makes a glorious mess trying to get rid of it at the end of the cook.

That said, it sounds like the OP has too many coals lit.
OP, study the "Tin Can Minion Method" and have perfect fire control.

Use water.

Light very few coals.

Make sure your door isn't leaking smoke like crazy

You'll be fine

Agree with Matt. Have had my WSM22 for three years and that is how I roll. I will try no water at some point but I know water in pan works very well for me. May be a pain to clean the pan but it is all part of the process. Cover the pan with foil and it will help keep it clean and easier to clean the mess. You can also put a foil pan on the bottom rack to collect drippings that can be used for gravy or other purposed. What makes you happy is the way to go.

All vents closed should put your fire out. You may have a major air leak somewhere.

Still my 22 has been known to read 125 on the thermo with out a fire when it has been sitting in the sun.

Good point. My WSM is always at about 125* just sitting with no fuel and clean.

All vents closed should put your fire out. You may have a major air leak somewhere.

Still my 22 has been known to read 125 on the thermo with out a fire when it has been sitting in the sun.

Here is a link to "The Tin Can Minion Method":

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?388...Pepper-Stout-Beef&highlight=Tin+Minion+Method

The reason I like this is that it is absolutely consistent. I use Kingsford Original Briqs, as a matter of interest, and catch the heat on the way up with the 18.5" WSM. When using the 14.5" WSM I let the heat reach target temperatures (the different size smokers react just a bit different to heat control) before partialling closing the bottom vents. I use a dry water pan, covering it with foil that is depressed about an inch (leaving an air space between the bottom of the pan and the foil to avoid burning the grease).

All partially used coal are saved for my grills and I start with a FULL charcoal ring of new briqs each time. Nothing is wasted as the used coals work perfectly in the grills. Any briqs that don't fall through the grates are saved. I used some stainless steel wire to wire the charcoal ring to the charcoal grate. After the cook and everything cools down (I shut all vents immediately after I remove the food), I just pick up the charcoal ring and shake the used charcoal down. Then just simply dump the used in a nearby grill for saving for the next grill cook. Clean up is a breeze, except for the food grates:rolleyes:.

Just a thought or two...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Last edited:

This.
When your fire dies I would measure the center section (top and bottom) the charcoal bowl and the dome to make sure everything is round. If anything is out of round give it a bear hug to get it back. The bottom of the center section frequently gets out of round in handling.

Catch temps on the way up. Top vent wide open, control temps with the intake.

I was having a little trouble controlling my temps when I first got my smoker too (22-Inch WSM). I bought some high temp Nomex to seal the door and did a few cooks and it sealed up nicely. I don't have a problem keeping the temp down at all now.

I had the same issue with my 18.5 wsm. I used the minion method and the temps just kept on rising. I shut the vents and it didn't drop. I figured the door was leaking. I jambed tin foil around the door during my cook and the temps started dropping. I was then able to use the vents to control temps. I bought a gasket kit and installed it on the door only. Now my wsm holds steady temps.

I'm new here too and started smoking on the WSM this year, water helped me alot and a door upgrade along with gaskets!
I do still struggle sometimes though, if you just can't drop the temp can you close 2 vents fully and just use 1 or will this extinguish the fire?

I'm new here too and started smoking on the WSM this year, water helped me alot and a door upgrade along with gaskets!
I do still struggle sometimes though, if you just can't drop the temp can you close 2 vents fully and just use 1 or will this extinguish the fire?

Yea sure, just open the 1 downwind vent.
You can also close the top vent briefly to control heat spikes.
OBTW welcome Olly:wsm:

Tim

Back