Canning BBQ sauce

Rita you were right. I have a pressure cooker not a pressure canner. I thought they made an insert for my pressure cooker for canning but I was wrong. It is a totally different unit for canning, Ken

Ken, it's easy to get confused between pressure cooking and pressure canning. Fine points that might not be obvious upon first glance. Some of the less popular brands of pressure cookers do suggest (and offer) racks for pressure canning in pressure cookers. A very common misconception, and as I mentioned, a safety issue. I need to do some BBQ sauce canning too, especially Kevin Kruger's Almost KC sauce (made with pineapple). Oh my, that one is so good with so many things and a knockout with poultry and pork. I love the piquancy of the pineapple that takes the sauce to a more savory level than so many of the too-sweet sauces. I'm not a fan of really sweet sauces because they cover up the flavor of the meat. Just a personal preference.

Rita

Last edited:
Ryan, I like Stubb's too. I tried the new Costco BBQ brisket sandwich yesterday and was a bit disappointed that it was as sweet as it was. The meat was good, but something, probably the texture of the sauce seemed as if it had contained beans as a thickener. It was on the heavy side. To be fair, I tried it in mid-afternoon when the store wasn't very busy, but I doubt I'd order it again. Also the coleslaw had a vinegar-based dressing and I would have preferred a creamy dressing. Just my preferences. I hear that a lot of people do like the sandwich. Heaven knows it's more than a generous serving.

Ken and Chris, thanks. Yes, Kevin's sauce is the best 'Q sauce I now make. I love its hint of piquancy.

Rita

Ken, I love the Aleppo too. You can use it anywhere cayenne is called for. Since mine is in flake form, I find it a little less spicy-hot than powdered cayenne, but with a warmer, more chile-like flavor.

Rita

I sprinkle it on pizza too. Pretty much anywhere where I would use crushed red pepper. I went to a Tapas Restaurant the other night and could taste it on their seared shrimp in chili oil too. I discovered it after reading a Savour magazine article loaded with Turkish recipes. It has been in my spice cabinet since.

I always heat mine using the hot bath method in boiling water for 35 minutes, I have been doing it for years with great results. It really makes life a lot easier to make larger batches; especially if you have several sauces. I usually do a KC style, Memphis style and Carolina Red style. It's also great to have some available to share with friends. I have no done Wolf's Orange Marmalade glaze yet, but will be doing that soon.

Back