Can you smoke a brisket and pork butt in WSM at same time?

I'm contemplating living dangerously! We're hosting a big gathering Sunday and plan to serve brisket, ribs, and pulled pork. The ribs will be Cheater Ribs (in the oven) but wondering if I can (or has anyone) smoke the butt on the lower grill of my 18" WSM and the brisket on upper rack. The other option is to cook the butt the day before and reheat. Feedback welcome.

Yes, I’ve done it multiple times. The pork butt will finish first if you put them in at the same time.

Absolutely. Doesn't really matter which goes on top. Some people think the butt will baste the brisket. I usually use sugar in my pork rub but not in my brisket rub so I don't want the pork rub dripping on the brisket. I also will fuss with the brisket more so it being on top is better for me. Some people people think there's a safety concern with the pork contaminating the brisket but the pork and brisket will both be cooked far beyond pasteurization temps so that's not an issue.

Thanks for the input. Second question: if smoking together, the butt calls for pecan and apple chunks, while the brisket (IMHO) requires only oak. Thoughts?

Back