Can we talk about taming wild Salmon

My family greatly prefers the "buttery" mild flavor and texture of farmed salmon. I have to say I probably agree, sacrilege I know

I've tried wild salmon so many ways, from simple salt and pepper to raging river to smoked. Any tips here? I'm thinking about trying a very mild, short brine next time

What variety of wild salmon are you trying to cook? Chinook, coho and sockeye are a few of the varieties. They taste and cook different. I rarely see chinook (also called king) or coho at the market; for some reason it's mostly sockeye around here.

Wild salmon is less fatty than farm raised, so it is less forgiving to cook. Sockeye is a smaller fish than the others, so its filets are thinner than chinook or farm raised; correspondingly, the window between done and over one is also smaller.

The only way I have succeeded at cooking sockeye is sous vide. Vacuum seal it with some aromatics and a little olive oil or butter and throw in the water bath. Delicious!

If you do want to grill sockeye, I would try using a cedar plank. I have tried it with farm raised and it works well.

What variety of wild salmon are you trying to cook? Chinook, coho and sockeye are a few of the varieties. They taste and cook different. I rarely see chinook (also called king) or coho at the market; for some reason it's mostly sockeye around here.

Wild salmon is less fatty than farm raised, so it is less forgiving to cook. Sockeye is a smaller fish than the others, so its filets are thinner than chinook or farm raised; correspondingly, the window between done and over one is also smaller.

The only way I have succeeded at cooking sockeye is sous vide. Vacuum seal it with some aromatics and a little olive oil or butter and throw in the water bath. Delicious!

If you do want to grill sockeye, I would try using a cedar plank. I have tried it with farm raised and it works well.

Sockeye. I've done it on the cedar plank, I use a thermapen and am very comfortable pulling it med rare. It's "good" but not great

My family greatly prefers the "buttery" mild flavor and texture of farmed salmon. I have to say I probably agree, sacrilege I know

I've tried wild salmon so many ways, from simple salt and pepper to raging river to smoked. Any tips here? I'm thinking about trying a very mild, short brine next time
What exactly are the problems you are having with wild salmon?

I've had good luck in the past with the planks-also similar using a stone. Salt, pepper, lemon. Some use garlic butter

Back