Can we talk about taming wild Salmon

My family greatly prefers the "buttery" mild flavor and texture of farmed salmon. I have to say I probably agree, sacrilege I know

I've tried wild salmon so many ways, from simple salt and pepper to raging river to smoked. Any tips here? I'm thinking about trying a very mild, short brine next time

J Grotz

TVWBB All-Star
What variety of wild salmon are you trying to cook? Chinook, coho and sockeye are a few of the varieties. They taste and cook different. I rarely see chinook (also called king) or coho at the market; for some reason it's mostly sockeye around here.

Wild salmon is less fatty than farm raised, so it is less forgiving to cook. Sockeye is a smaller fish than the others, so its filets are thinner than chinook or farm raised; correspondingly, the window between done and over one is also smaller.

The only way I have succeeded at cooking sockeye is sous vide. Vacuum seal it with some aromatics and a little olive oil or butter and throw in the water bath. Delicious!

If you do want to grill sockeye, I would try using a cedar plank. I have tried it with farm raised and it works well.

What variety of wild salmon are you trying to cook? Chinook, coho and sockeye are a few of the varieties. They taste and cook different. I rarely see chinook (also called king) or coho at the market; for some reason it's mostly sockeye around here.

Wild salmon is less fatty than farm raised, so it is less forgiving to cook. Sockeye is a smaller fish than the others, so its filets are thinner than chinook or farm raised; correspondingly, the window between done and over one is also smaller.

The only way I have succeeded at cooking sockeye is sous vide. Vacuum seal it with some aromatics and a little olive oil or butter and throw in the water bath. Delicious!

If you do want to grill sockeye, I would try using a cedar plank. I have tried it with farm raised and it works well.
Sockeye. I've done it on the cedar plank, I use a thermapen and am very comfortable pulling it med rare. It's "good" but not great

Erik Tracy

TVWBB Super Fan
My family greatly prefers the "buttery" mild flavor and texture of farmed salmon. I have to say I probably agree, sacrilege I know

I've tried wild salmon so many ways, from simple salt and pepper to raging river to smoked. Any tips here? I'm thinking about trying a very mild, short brine next time
What exactly are the problems you are having with wild salmon?

BobH-SCW

TVWBB Fan
I've had good luck in the past with the planks-also similar using a stone. Salt, pepper, lemon. Some use garlic butter