Can this propane tank be converted?

Sorry for reviving this days old thread but I just changed out the tank with the bad seal and took some pictures of what I think is a good leak testing method. I have a large plastic peanut butter jar with a lid and I put a bit of water and a little bit of soap and then shake the he11 out of it. I use a basting brush or a chip brush from HF. It makes foam like a shaving cream consistency, works better for me than a spray bottle.

EDIT: In case anyone notices, that is stainless steel safety wire as used in the aircraft industry supporting the manifold.

Attachments

• 20200902_135906.jpg
    20200902_135906.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200902_140432.jpg
    20200902_140432.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200902_140616.jpg
    20200902_140616.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 13
Tractor supply charges by The gallon. They only charge for what they put in

They sure do...

Just refilled the empty tank that I got with my Ron Burgundy grill at Tractor Suppy.
16.6 tare weight, took 4.5 gallons to fill.
Weighed it when I got Home and weighed in at 37 pounds.

So some places do indeed fill up to the full 20# limit.

Great price at $2.39 per gallon too.

Jeff

I have both my E320 Genesis is NG and I love it. The only bottles I have to fill are for the Chicken cooker Weber Kettle, the Genesis 2000 and the gas starter on the performer. The performer will go three years + on a 20# bottle.

The leaky seal, cracked in 2 places. Time for an exchange.

Attachments

• 20200902_162041.jpg
    20200902_162041.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 11
They sure do...

Just refilled the empty tank that I got with my Ron Burgundy grill at Tractor Suppy.

Jeff
I have about 8 or 9 tanks laying around. I need to get over to Tractor Supply (about 30 miles) to fill a few of them. I just exchanged two quick connect tanks today at walmart for two filled ones with the new QCC1 (Acme) connectors. But, yah, getting them filled is much cheaper and they actually fill them.

From experience I can honestly say I would rather find out my tank seal is bad before I fill it. I'm going to start inspecting mine before taking them in for a refill as well as before I accept a tank in an exchange.

They sure do...

Jeff

When I worked at Ace Hardware most the employees were high schoolers. The new tanks have an Overfill Protection Device (OPD) valve. 99% of the time we filled the tanks we just let the pump fill until the OPD kicked in and wouldn't allow any more gas in the tank. So filled to the max.
When AmeriGas trained us on how to fill the tanks you are supposed to use the big tank scale, but it was rarely ever used.
It's also good to unscrew the purge screw a little to force out any air while you are filling.

4.5 gallons is a lot, must have been totally empty. I think most the times tanks would take 3.7 to 4 gallons.

In the end, I got two regular valve tanks that were already filled. I saved $15-20 from buying a filled tank from Amerigas, so not exactly a huge bargain. One tank is 2015, the other 2010. I thought they're good for 12 years, so I'll run the 2010 out first, and swap it. The 2015 is really clean, so will refill that one and keep it.

Interesting looking in the Amerigas cages at the local store, as most I could see are 2000-2010 and have been re-certed and have some paint covering up the rust. Previously, I'd had older bottles and kept swapping until I had a 2015 and 2018, but then sold/gave away those before we moved, as I didnt want to deal with propane bottles in a POD of carrying them 700 miles in my car.

Thanks.

Back