Can this propane tank be converted?

Are these propane tank fittings ones that just screw off and work with regular threaded fittings?

I'm after a propane tank, as we moved and I left/sold my old ones before we moved, as I couldn't bring them in the POD. This one is cheap, and 2/3's full, so my cheapest option if the quick connect just unscrews. But if it doesnt unscrew, then it's not going to work without converting my grill to work on it.

Thanks

No, that would have to be converted by a professional. That is a quick connect fitting. BUT, you can take it to tank exchange, like Walmart and they will swap it for a full tank for about $15-$20 and the new tank will have the new QCC1 (Acme) connector. I have 4 of the quick connect tanks that I will doing that with shortly.

Two of mine were full or partially full when I got them, so I modded my grill to connect to the quick connects until I use them up before I trade them in, then I will "Un-Mod" the grill. LOL.

Those quick connect tanks are very hard to get filled anywhere any more. You are best off just trading it in as is. That is probably only about $10 worth of gas left in it.

Thanks. Do you have to prentend that its a normal connection when you swap it, or is it legit to swap the tank over if it's got that fitting?

I guess if I'm trading it in, then the fact it's got $10 of gas in it isn't important and maybe I'll just grab an empty used tank to swap anyway (which is a few dollars cheaper).

Thanks,

Are these propane tank fittings ones that just screw off and work with regular threaded fittings?

I'm after a propane tank, as we moved and I left/sold my old ones before we moved, as I couldn't bring them in the POD. This one is cheap, and 2/3's full, so my cheapest option if the quick connect just unscrews. But if it doesnt unscrew, then it's not going to work without converting my grill to work on it.

Thanks
Hi Steven, Don't fool with the tank if it has propane in it. If you have a male quick connect fitting you can swap the QCC male in an existing regulator hose assembly. That way you can consume the propane.

If you don't have a male quick connect fitting just swap your tank out for an exchange tank at your local big box store and be done with it

A couple of other reasons to turn tanks in from time to time...tanks are required to be certified every 10 years and the most recent cert date is stamped on the tank collar. Outfits that refill them can refuse to do so if it's out of cert, although I personally have never had that happen. Also, the QCC1 fitting that we most commonly use doesn't have a "soft" nose (an o-ring at the end of it) and relies on an internal seal inside the tank fitting. That seal dries out over time and can leak, and you cannot tighten a QCC1 fitting tight enough to stop it from leaking.

I have a tank that I discovered had a leaking seal right after having it filled, last certified in 2003. I used a soft nosed fitting that I could tighten with a wrench to use until empty. It's going in for an exchange.

Remember to always do a leak check after changing tanks.

Thanks. Do you have to prentend that its a normal connection when you swap it, or is it legit to swap the tank over if it's got that fitting?

5 or 6 years ago I was exchanging a tank at walmart and the guy had me put my old tank in the "empty rack" and I noticed a tank in there with the quick connect on it. I mentioned it to the guy and he said it doesn't matter. They just swap in a new valve. Since then, I have swapped in probably a half dozen tanks like that. I never mention anything and none of the C/S guys ever say anything either. One thing to be aware of however is that the tank exchange outfits don't "recertify" tanks like a refill place would. They put some kind of internal code on them when they recertify them, but it won't work if you take that tank to a refill place later. The recert they do is like a one time deal each time they fill the tank.

The only time I ever had trouble with getting propane tanks refilled was when they mandated that tanks had to have the OPD installed. I had to empty and dispose of a couple of tanks because they wouldn't refill them. Other than that, no one has ever checked the date on a tank when refilling. Most of my fittings were the type that needed a wrench to tighten, so I never had a problem, it was only when I tried to connect up one of the grills with a QCC1 coupling that I discovered one of my three tanks has a bad seal, and lo and behold, it's 17 years old.

Blue Rhino is the exchange company in my area, and they got hit with a class-action lawsuit for exchanging underfilled tanks without telling people. I got a few bucks back for that, but I'd rather have the full 20# fill. I'm going to be checking when I do the exchange, but I think they only put 4 gallons in a tank. I hope I'm wrong.

All (most) of those exchange places only fill to 15# or so pounds. I think it is kind of a scam myself. I usually get my tanks refilled for way less, but for exchanging a quick connect tank to get a new QCC1 tank, it is worth it.

We have one place that is a PIA about the dates. I simply go to my place that does $12 fillups on Tuesdays.

Even Costco was only refilling those tanks with 15#'s there are articles out there but they were much cheaper. I don't believe any Costco in my area fills them. I get mine filled at an Ace Hardware really need to ask them the next time or stand there while they refill them as they put them on a scale and see what level they fill them to.

Unfortunately my local Ace will be moving to a new location I wonder if they will even bother installing the large propane tank to do refills will have to ask them got a feeling it would not be worth it for them.

I have never had a refiller put 20# in a 20# tank. You can tell because the tare weight is on the neck of the tank and then simply put it on a scale. I have found the typical exchange tank to always be within 1# of a refilled tank. So the myth a refill place always give you a full 20# is just that (a myth).

I didn't think you ever got a full #20 pounds in a tank either. I know centuries ago I worked as a kid in a bottling plant and used to fill C02 tanks we used a scale with a mark on it for those tanks and that was never to capacity can't remember what it was but for sure it was not what they could hold and I would imagine it was giving you a margin of error not to overfill them.

Yah, even refill outfits don't fill them all the way. But they do typically fill them much fuller than the exchange places. Also, you only pay for what they put in. If your tank still has a couple pounds in it, then you don't pay for a full refill. that and most refill places will be a better value than exchanges, pound for pound.

My ACE has a flat charge to refill a tank that's great you only pay for what you put in.

I just found some local U Hauls fairly local that charge by gallon. One is 3.57 the other 2.99 would need to drive a bit further going to try them the next time.

Yah, even refill outfits don't fill them all the way. But they do typically fill them much fuller than the exchange places. Also, you only pay for what they put in. If your tank still has a couple pounds in it, then you don't pay for a full refill. that and most refill places will be a better value than exchanges, pound for pound.
Yeah not here. You can bring in a tank with only one pound out or completely empty. Same charge. Kinda like going to gas station and paying for a full tank when you only wanted to top off for a trip

Yea I go to U haul also. Brought in 3 tanks and I got a different charge for each one.
Heck of a lot cheaper then doing the exchange.

I have a you Hall near me that is going to start doing that propane refills. Yahhh

I’m glad that I made the decision to put a gas outlet at my house about 7-8 years ago. No more tank fill ups ever. Getting three tanks filled up twice per year gets old. Will make sure my next house has a gas hookup or we put in a 500 gallon LP tank.
Those of you without natural gas, have you thought about putting in a large propane tank? Not sure if those tanks also need to get recertified every X years.

Back