Can Someone Tell Me What Kind Of Wood This Is??????

David Verba

TVWBB Fan
Looked up some firewood on Craigslist, found a guy that said he had maple. Which I need for making my bacon. Then when I got out there, he wasn't 100% sure.... Can you guys take a look and tell me what you think?
wood%201.jpg

wood%202.jpg

THANKS!

From just pictures, I think the concensus will be that it is just too difficuly to tell for sure.

That being said - the bark and the color look about right (but there are several different kinds of maple, some are better than others).

You can eliminate some things with a fair degree of certainty:

-In logs / cuts of that size, if it were apple or cherry - you would see darker-colored (brownish / pinkish) heart-wood.

-hiskory is also a light-colored wood, but the bark would typically have more detached edges (at least, on largish logs)

On pictures like this, it is usually good to also put a size-reference object in your picture. A short ruler, or an "every-day" object, that other viewers would recognize, and be able to compare for size reference.

Smell it, to make sure it's not piney or cedar-y. (both of those would be yuck-y
icon_wink.gif
)

I would probably shave-off a bit of the wood, without bark, put it on a little tin foil, and heat it up until it smokes. If the smoke is sweetish in the nose - then you're probably OK. If it's bitter or acrid, then I would use it for firewood instead.

Not a complete answer, but I hope this helps

Looks like Silver Leaf Maple to me, but not sure of it's smoking qualities.
It's a softer wood than Sugar Maple.

In the Pacific Northwest I smoke with alder and maple... the bark on the wood looks like one of the maple trees we have here.

joe

Fine grain, light color. I'd say maple. Don't know exactly what kind (sugar or otherwise), but it's maple. Burn a little and give it the sniff test. Good luck!

when I took a bit off, it was a bit squishy, burnt a little, it did smell quite sweet. For sure maple, I guess it will do until I get some positively ID'd Sugar Maple.

To anyone who needs wood - I read in a old thread about DoItBest.com - they have 10 lb. bags of Hickory, Apple, Pecan, Mesquite & Cherry for $6.29 - $8.29 - I ordered one of each except for the Cherry as I have a bunch of that already. Hope quality is good! You can get free shipping to a local store, just use the "store locator" and find one close that has the "ship to store" option. Use coupon code "CustomerCanel" for 10% off your $25 order as well, which will take care of tax and then a bit. Cheapest I can find wood with the slight inconvenience of having to pick it up at the store....hope it helps someone.

It looks like the Maple trees in my back yard. You can always make a small test batch of bacon before committing all of your meat to something that will not make you happy.

Back