Can someone school me on the SS performer? What makes it desirable?

I have a first generation Red SSP and a black 2nd generation Performer. I restored the red one about nine years ago and upgraded the table to the metal one on my 2nd gen. I hardly use either one of them but can't get myself to sell either of them yet.

The gasser folks on this forum might get a kick out of this... It turns out that the SSP's propane tank panel looks just like the Genesis 1000-5000 series panel minus the rollers for the 20 lb tank, so it is possible to mount a 20 lb tank to the SSP using all Weber parts:

43410336701_e9d972e1a0_b.jpg

42692324344_ec346060a4_b.jpg

42692324124_5e74e9fe53_b.jpg

This mod also allows the use of a common propane grill regulator (I added an extra 90-degree fitting to angle the hose around the charcoal bin, but this is an optional step provided your propane regulator hose is long enough to reach the tank).

28539320717_4d4857e27c_b.jpg
It’s a very old post. So I know it’s a long shot, but do you have pics of what you are talking about? The pics originally posted are long gone. Is the tank on the outside of the cart or inside on the wire shelf rack?

It’s a very old post. So I know it’s a long shot, but do you have pics of what you are talking about? The pics originally posted are long gone. Is the tank on the outside of the cart or inside on the wire shelf rack?
The tank hangs inside the frame. Mine is a replacement tank, and I didn’t want to perform any surgery, so I had to lower the slider on the hanger to its bottom position to fit the rank under the control panel. Oh - and you’ll want to make sure of which side (back or left) the outlet on the propane tank lands, as it will dictate whether you want a straight or 90° inlet on your regulator.

Attachments

• 9709B089-130C-47C1-9B17-82396157832C.jpeg
    9709B089-130C-47C1-9B17-82396157832C.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 10
The tank hangs inside the frame. Mine is a replacement tank, and I didn’t want to perform any surgery, so I had to lower the slider on the hanger to its bottom position to fit the rank under the control panel. Oh - and you’ll want to make sure of which side (back or left) the outlet on the propane tank lands, as it will dictate whether you want a straight or 90° inlet on your regulator.
Is that a 20 pounder in that photo?

It’s a five. I don’t remember the brand off the top of my head, but it’s what they sold at Family Farm & Home.
Copy. Thanks. I was actually trying to see how they had the 20 lb tank mentioned earlier in thread mounted.

Copy. Thanks. I was actually trying to see how they had the 20 lb tank mentioned earlier in thread mounted.

I kinda figured this is what he did when I saw the right side of the SSP the bracket, he replaced that bracket with one from a 1000 that had the rollers, he replaced the tank scale with one of the newer ones not the original which had a lever to indicate how much propane was left. Click the google photos and you can see what I mean.

Post #4

I kinda figured this is what he did when I saw the right side of the SSP the bracket, he replaced that bracket with one from a 1000 that had the rollers, he replaced the tank scale with one of the newer ones not the original which had a lever to indicate how much propane was left. Click the google photos and you can see what I mean.

Post #4
That was it! Thanks!

John probably get flamed on this but I don't get the point of a 20# tank on a performer. I get over a year on my gen 3 with the one pound tank not like your burning it at full blast for 10 minutes or so but to each his own. If I was ever and I won't buy a gen 1 love them by the way providing you find one at the right price I would eat the price of the 5 pound tank new in a minute its good for 10 years. If I am correct on what J did you got to find a 1000 for free to use those parts then the new tank scale which you will either find another free grill on a silver or whatever you can buy the scale directly from weber did that for my daughters 1000 was not a big fan of the lever deal. I think I actually bought the new tank scale on ebay for like 20 bucks but that was a long time ago.

John probably get flamed on this but I don't get the point of a 20# tank on a performer. I get over a year on my gen 3 with the one pound tank not like your burning it at full blast for 10 minutes or so but to each his own. I
I am still on my 1lb propane cylinder which was first connected to my then new Weber Performer Deluxe in January, 2020. Of course; I do mix-up the lighting of the Charcoal with those Weber Burner Cubes more often than not.

And also the Q's.
Yup! 6501 was designed for Q's. The full list of models it will fit are as follows: Baby Q gas grill, Weber® Q 100/1000 series grills, Weber® Q gas grill, Weber® Q 200/2000 series grills, Gas Go-Anywhere gas grills, Weber Traveler portable gas grill, Summit Charcoal, Summit Kamado S6, Performer Touch-N-Go grills made after 2004, and Performer Platinum/Deluxe grills

Back