Can someone explain the lid vent on the WSK? Why so loose?

SteveEd

TVWBB Member
Are they all like that? By design? What do I not understand? Here in my ignorance I find it annoying that I have to remember to adjust the lid vent after each lift. Any ideas on how to tighten it a bit? I'd rather have to adjust it with a hammer than to leave it as is. :)

Mark want s correct. It will “gunk up” after some cooks. It will get better the more you use it.

It’ll tighten up quickly. Yes, they’re all loose when new. A few simple cooks and it’ll be perfect.

Update: If I had waited just one more day before starting this thread it would not have been necessary. After last night's cook it's clearly beginning to get sticky and can survive a gentle lid lift. Once the pit cooled and the grease solidified I pushed down on the top of the vent and moved the top plate back and forth a few times to smear the grease. That made it stick even more. Thanks again to all of you.

Update: If I had waited just one more day before starting this thread it would not have been necessary. After last night's cook it's clearly beginning to get sticky and can survive a gentle lid lift. Once the pit cooled and the grease solidified I pushed down on the top of the vent and moved the top plate back and forth a few times to smear the grease. That made it stick even more. Thanks again to all of you.
depending how much you cook and what you cook on it. budget 2 mins cleaning the inside of the vent in 6 months. the gunk does build up so a gentle wipedown will help remove the heavier built up gunk. enjoy your new grill and post some pics. want to see what others are cooking for inspiration.

...want to see what others are cooking for inspiration.
Will do, Brett. Most of my cooks are very simple, little challenge. Nothing like what I see from you. I've done chicken, steaks, burgers, sausage, beef tenderloin and pork tenderloin so far and all turned out great except that my burgers and sausage were a little overdone. I know what to do next time to take care of that. Once I go low and slow I'll start taking pics and hopefully have something to show off.

I'm really enjoying this cooker though I've got a few things to learn.

Will do, Brett. Most of my cooks are very simple, little challenge. Nothing like what I see from you. I've done chicken, steaks, burgers, sausage, beef tenderloin and pork tenderloin so far and all turned out great except that my burgers and sausage were a little overdone. I know what to do next time to take care of that. Once I go low and slow I'll start taking pics and hopefully have something to show off.

I'm really enjoying this cooker though I've got a few things to learn.
No showing off. Just sharing. Everyone here is learning. And from each other. I’m just a crazy person who likes to play with food 🤣😆😁

You're right Brett. I've had mine since November and it's starting to get really sticky now.

Same here.
You do have to check the vent position after every time you've opened the lid.

Even though mine is pretty gunked up I didn't notice it had closed up completely in a recent cook.

Back