Can I show off? (Turkey with pictures)

Hank B

TVWBB Pro
I'm just so happy with how this bird came out. It's a special one. It's the last of the batch that our son and his wife raised last year. This summer they are in the midst of moving due to a promotion and there will be no more home raised birds for the foreseeable future.

I'll state first that I started with a great 18 ½ lb bird. They're grown in a turkey tractor that was moved daily around the horse pasture to give them all of the things that turkeys pick out of the grass to eat.

I like to believe I did it justice. I brined it overnight and then smoked on my WSM for four hours at temps starting about 245° and rising over a four hour period to 277°. I only adjusted the vents once at three hours to moderate temps. (This was with a foiled and otherwise dry water pan.) I really love how the WSM can hold temperature w/out constant fiddling.

I used Mesquite lump with Box Elder, Oak, Cherry and a little Black Walnut for smoking wood.

A turkey this size is just about a perfect fit in the WSM, not like the 26 pounder I had to stand on its head.

The results:
DSC_3829-PP.JPG

DSC_3835-PP.JPG

DSC_3839-PP.JPG

It tastes every bit as good as it looks.
icon_biggrin.gif

Walt, looks great!!! I wished I had put a turkey aside when they were on sale. Love them brined and smoked

Beautiful. I can taste the turkey salad made witha little mayo, some raisins, walnuts, grapes and a little blue cheese. Hmmmmmm!

Nice!
I'll be giving that a try on my 22 this fall - I have done them for years on my old Meco, and now with the WSM, to have the control - hmmm, maybe I won't wait until fall...
Thanks for the inspiration,
Bill

Back