Can I Paint Green Kettle to Black?

MichaelLC

TVWBB Pro
Yes, i know I *can*, quality of my workmanship not withstanding, so the question is really how much work is involved and will it stick?

I have a 22" kettle that's the forest (darker) green color. No real rust or knicks; paint is in good shape. Want to paint it black to match WSM.

Got a can of the Rust Oleum High Heat Ultra. Do I need to sand off the old paint before applying the new? I want it to look nice so if not removing will just cause flaking in a month, I'll pass and just drop more hints for a new Master Touch... Thanks,!

Weber Kettles aren't technically painted, they're coated in porcelain enamel that's baked on at a very high temperature. If you want to get a proper repaint done, I suggest going to a place like Independence Porcelain Enamel to repaint. But since its just repainting to black, you (and your wallet) would be much better off buying a new or used black kettle. Repainting to black (if you want it done professionally) just isn't worth all the hassle and money IMHO.

Spray paint is not going to give you the smooth shiny finish of original porcelain enamel. Unless you really don't care about how it looks other than it being black and peeling and flaking over time, I would agree that you should sell your green and buy a black. Sending it off to Independence Porcelain Enamel in Missouri would be a waste of time and money when you can buy a new grill for much less money. And did I mention you end up with a new grill? :)

Yeah, don't paint over porcelain coatings. Porcelain is a powder of ceramics suspended in a liquid (water), sprayed on, the melted at temperatures well over 1000F to fuse to the metal and flow out to form a glass like coat.

Sell and buy a new black one ($120 or $175) or just keep the green as a second. Can find some VERY clean used ones on marketplace or Craigslist for under $100 with almost zero effort

I like the fact my green performer doesn't match my black WSC. To each his own. Which got me to thinking if they will eventually offer the Summit Kamado in colors.

Please don’t paint you’re beautiful green one black!
Of course 'Hunter' would say that about a color named after them! Yeah it's a good color, but I really want matching grills.

The extra height and built-in lid holder of a MT would be nice too.

Thanks all! If it sounded like it would work I was happy to give it a go as a project but since I want it to look nice, new Master Touch it is.

ALTHOUGH... there is my dad's kettle, which I think is Original Premium, so could just swap that and put my better grate and lid holder... Will have to check it out next time I'm over there.

The new master touch has P shaped openings...

p-shape-vent.jpg

I've been seeing that going around.

What's the verdict?

Bumping.. I want to pick up a Weber performer (the one with single side table. I wish I could find a Weber One Touch Platinum, they are unicorns and a rare find. So I firgured picking up a base model Performer would be good. However, they only come in Black. I have my heart set on a red kettle to go next to my blue Performer Deluxe.

Has anyone sent their kettle off to get painted at a place like Independence Porcelain Enamel? What could I expect to pay to have that done? Is the result comparable to a factory Weber kettle finish?

Back